lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
jbarnes
Not Yet Wild

Default son's worn-out golf cart

changing out the original engine to a regular small gas engine, will a 12 hp be enough?, and I know I'll have to get the tapperd clutch adapter but is there anything else to consider?, plus how do I figure out if the clutch is working if the engine's not running? thanks for any help, this was my dad's golf cart and he left it to my son with a worn out engine and I'm trying to get it running for as cheap as possible, thanks again!
jbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: son's worn-out golf cart

depends on what type of cart it is (I'm going to assume by the description and the placement of your question in this forum that it's a pre-91 EZGO Marathon) ... The stock engine (2pg or 3pg 2-stroke) puts out 9hp if it's a pre-88, or 11hp if it's newer so 12hp is right in there ...

HOWEVER, food for thought - number one, you'll lose reverse entirely with a swap to a standard motor, as the 2 and 3pg's actually run backwards to give reverse gear, also you'll likely end up spending far more than the cost of a rebuild on your existing engine, misc parts to fit it and get it playing correctly with your cart, etc (an entirely brand new top end kit is just under $200, add an $8 set of crank seals and you should be rocking and rolling as good as new). The rebuild is relatively simple and can be done in a short afternoon if you're handy, a long afternoon if you have to take the time to follow the video tutorials which are available right here on the site for free.

As to the clutch adapter, yes that's one part, but depending on how you plan to set it up (constant running, start/stop with pedal, etc) you can be looking at a LOT of screwing around to get it right - and again, the endgame is still a running cart with NO reverse (which is really almost NO fun at all!)

If $ is a real issue, you can always take the cylinder in to a machine shop and have it bored, that puts the rebuild closer to $125-ish (but again, at $200 for a complete rebuild kit it's almost silly not to, as once you do it you basically have a brand new engine)

Just my opinions ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
jbarnes
Not Yet Wild

not sure of the year model but it has a Robin 2 cylinder engine(EH29C) and as far as the reverse, it has a cable actuated pivoting lever on the rearend so I should be able to keep my reverse no matter what engine I use. please correct me if I'm wrong on this
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, sounds like it's a 4 stroke. If you look around this site, there are a lot of threads where people have transplanted other engines in these carts, Marathons in particular. 12 hp is kind of at that point where you don't gain a lot for all your blood, sweat & tears. There are 16 hp engine available, commonly known as "Honda clones", plus twin cylinder engines by Honda, Vanguard, & Briggs & Stratton, and numerous guys putting motorcycle & quad engines in carts.
You just have to decide how much work your willing (or capable) to do.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
jbarnes
Not Yet Wild

if it will fit I think I can make it work but does the reverse switch I desribed sound correct and how do I check the clutch with no running engine
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The 2 cables going from the shifter underneath the motor, to the front side of the rear diff sounds exactly like my 92 Marathon.

If you look up front, by the passengers feet, underneath the dash, there is usually a tag riveted to the body. It should have a serial # on it, which will tell you the year of the cart. I believe anything up to 91 was a 2 stroke, then 92 & beyond were 4 strokes (maybe someone can correct me if those years are not quite right). 2 stroke carts used a rear diff that only had forward in it.... then like BCM said, the engine would start in forward or reverse depending on what the shifter was on. 4 strokes have a rear diff that actually has forward & reverse in it (and the shifter linkage like you described).
So if you have a 4 stroke cart, dropping another engine in the cart still allows you to use forward & reverse. If it's a 2 stroke, you'll have to look into replacing the rear diff, or running an engine that has reverse in it (like some sled or ATV engines).
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
jbarnes
Not Yet Wild

well it definetly has the 4 stroke, so a little backyard engineering and another engine, not a problem, but what would be enough HP without overkill, and how do ya check the clutch with no running engine? Thanks for all the help
Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go to the Big Block Talk! section & start reading threads. Plenty of chatter about V-twin, Honda clone, and bike/ATV transplants. You'll probably find some line of thinking that you can relate to.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
jbarnes
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO