lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
GolfGirl
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Why not marine batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
where are you located?

#1 trojen
#2 crown
#3 US battery
#4 a private name brand
Southeast Michigan. Batteries Plus is near me as is Harris Battery. Those are the two I am getting quotes from tomorrow.

Last edited by GolfGirl; 03-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Couldn'
GolfGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl View Post
I've searched the term "marine battery" and all I can find is people telling other NOT to buy marine batteries with no real explanation as to why. I understand that the GC batteries are SUPPOSED to have more lead in them than marine batteries, but I've found 12 volt marine batteries that are 5lbs heavier then the Trojan T1275.

Now, don't suggest kits to me. I'm pricing batteries for a couple of golf courses and we're lucky to get 3-4 years out of our carts before replacing them (we buy used carts in good condition). Obviously, kits wouldn't be cost efficient for us.

If a marine battery is a deep cycle, wet flooded, 12 volt battery that's actually heavier than the Trojan T1275, what is it that makes it an unsuitable candidate for the golf cart? I'm not being argumentative. I need to understand so that I feel better about spending an extra $75 per battery when I have to buy enough for 10 carts right now.

Thanks in advance for your caring and informative responses!

GolfGirl
Its an interesting question as the big component of a battery is lead therefor use more pay more. From the internet a 150AH (20hr rating) Marine Battery weighs 96 lbs. A Trojan T1275 150AH (20hr rating) weighs 82 lbs. that is I presume 14 lbs of lead (17% more than Trojan, yet costs less and is not as heavy duty !!) The upside is who wants an extra 56 lbs of lead on your cart.
A bit confusing but then I only have a FCLBE degree (failed college learned by experience)
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I've searched the term "marine battery" and all I can find is people telling other NOT to buy marine batteries with no real explanation as to why. I understand that the GC batteries are SUPPOSED to have more lead in them than marine batteries, but I've found 12 volt marine batteries that are 5lbs heavier then the Trojan T1275.

Now, don't suggest kits to me. I'm pricing batteries for a couple of golf courses and we're lucky to get 3-4 years out of our carts before replacing them (we buy used carts in good condition). Obviously, kits wouldn't be cost efficient for us.

If a marine battery is a deep cycle, wet flooded, 12 volt battery that's actually heavier than the Trojan T1275, what is it that makes it an unsuitable candidate for the golf cart? I'm not being argumentative. I need to understand so that I feel better about spending an extra $75 per battery when I have to buy enough for 10 carts right now.

GolfGirl

Battery primer here: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Probably more info than you need but your answers might be here if you wish to take the time wade through it.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
carson398
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have had 3 deep cycle marine batteries from walmart in my cart for 4 years. They still are taking a charge and load test good. I use it for bumin around on. They need a charge sooner then true GC batteries, but they work. I have a '82 CC. It's all I need.
carson398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson398 View Post
I have had 3 deep cycle marine batteries from walmart in my cart for 4 years. They still are taking a charge and load test good. I use it for bumin around on. They need a charge sooner then true GC batteries, but they work. I have a '82 CC. It's all I need.
Are you suggesting that a Commercial golf course with ten rental carts run Deep cycle Walmart batteries in their fleet carts?
Of course you are not But yes it could work for bumming around the trailer park
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
GolfGirl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Are you suggesting that a Commercial golf course with ten rental carts run Deep cycle Walmart batteries in their fleet carts?
Of course you are not But yes it could work for bumming around the trailer park
LOL ~ we have approximately 150 carts but only 10 need batteries replaced by 12volt batteries right now. I have another 42 8volt batteries to buy and still another 24 or so 6volt batteries to buy as well. It was just the 12V ones that are scaring me to death at the price! I'm sure that we'll need more batteries as the season wears on . . . this group is just what I have to get to have us all up and running for spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Battery primer here: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Probably more info than you need but your answers might be here if you wish to take the time wade through it.
Thanks for sharing. I found that yesterday . . . whether it was from a link in these forums or a google search, I can't remember but I do have it saved to my "Golf Cart Batteries" folder in favorites. Soon I'll understand batteries better than the owner!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is why you are irreplaceable. With 150 carts you should already be hooked up with somebody who can service your needs?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
GolfGirl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That is why you are irreplaceable. With 150 carts you should already be hooked up with somebody who can service your needs?
You would think, but until recently, he's been able to buy them all from Sam's and for the most part, they last long enough to please him (about 3 years). They don't carry 12 volt gc batteries, though.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should have some buying power for 40 US12VXC or T1275. Wish I was closer... good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

why don't you become a battery distributor? if volume got high enough you could have "free" batteries.

Quote:

GolfGirl
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v marine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car