lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Testing batteries

I just want to make sure the proper way to test my batteries. I just bought a hydrometer and I've already have a digital voltmeter. I have them all charged to start with, how long am I suppose to wait be for I start my test?
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Testing batteries

You should wait a min of 12 hours after the completed charge.
Here is a chart to show what 100% is voltage wise.
A reading above 100% means the batteries are still settling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 68 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you know anyone with a good load-tester,this is a quick easy test.Harbor-Freight has a large one(It will load 500amps) for $80.I use this same unit on my service-truck,i've had it for 3 years,no problems.I compared it against my electronic hand-held load-tester($180 from Snap-On)and also against my roll-around shop-size unit and its' dead-on.If you use a load-tester it must be capable of loading 1/2 of the cca of the battery to test it properly(500amp tester,1000 cca).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, I did the test 1 hour after full charge and I only had (3) batteries that read in the good range. I'll do another test tomorrow. I'm testing ( 6 volt batteries. Would it be ok to test them later than 12 hours, say 24 hours?
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I hope you purchased a single float hydrometer with temp correcting scale rather than a antifreeze multi float unit which is great for its use BUT NOT BATTERYS.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I'm with Pachanga90 on this. A set of batteries is a huge investment and a good load tester is the best possible diagnostic tool yet no one seems to be that interested in using one. If you were to use the tester say once a month you could then find a weak battery before it causes a problem. Here are (imho) three good reasons to use the load tester as the primary tool.
1. The tester will identify a weak battery before it starts to literally suck the life out of the pack
2. Getting that weak battery out of there will stop your charger overcharging the other 5/7 and shortening their lives
3. By identifying and replacing the weak battery you are spreading the cost of replacing the pack over a longer period thus avoiding the pain of a ~$700 expense in on hit.

I am sure that there are as many opinions as there are guys on this forum but can anyone show me the error in my logic.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I started working on batterys in 1944 when we were still replacing cells and most new batterys were still 2 years away? All we had were hydrometers and what we called a pile tester ( load tester ) but I was always able to predict battery going bad long before it showed up on THAT LOAD TESTER? Its all in what you learn and are good with?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My "load tester" is getting dusty. My battery pack draw down machine is more accurate when coupled with the other 2 tools.... For most owners it has always been a combination of 2 or even 3 tests to positively determine a pack &/or individual battery condition.... unless it reads 4v or 2v, I can figure out the dead cell thing
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
jlmurphy
Gone Wild

Club Car

The dealer I purchased my cart from used a Load Tester on my batteries and said they were ok. My charger would not shut down so I used a hydrometer made for batteries. The hydrometer found one bad battery. We changed the battery and solved the problem.
jlmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The equipment is only as good as the operator, lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car