lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Should upgrade include F/R?

Message received; it is of course all about balance (maybe I am beating a very dead horse). Same here as in all of life. Enjoy your day and thanks again.
DBlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Should upgrade include F/R?

Hey Scottyb - do you use the 12V contactors and wire them to 16V (2 batteries from the pack) or do you like the 48V ones wired across the entire pack?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

48v but I don't know if it really makes much difference which activation voltage you use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

If you put one of these contactors in (and in order to install it such that coil failures are tolerated, one solenoid is activated for either F or R operation), do you still need the regular solenoid, or does this contactor serve double-duty as both a motor direction switcher and and isolating solenoid?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You still need the regular solenoid between battery + and the controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #26
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

personally, i would recommend getting a contactor with the coil voltage matched to your pack voltage. my controller wants to see +48V on it's interlock pin so it keeps things simple.

im not using a main contactor, only the reversing contactor. only downside i see is if the controller failed in a manner that required removing power, i'd have to watch it burn. otherwise, the factory interlocks on my cart remain intact. i'll likely just add a emergency kill switch or powerpole key as opposed to adding another contactor.

this is my wiring setup in a nutshell. there may be a better way to accomplish this but i haven't given it much thought.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg series_motor_reversing_minus_main_contactor_diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 8 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #27
DBlom
Not Yet Wild

Yup, decided to go with +48V contactor, but believe I will retain main contactor to keep controller protected (and cold when key is off). I, too, like the ergonomics of the original FR switch and will use it to control the contactor. Next I'll see if I can be a bit more clever about wiring it in so that instead of having to fire one side (F) or the other (R) of the contactor, I'll look for a way to have both off = F and both on = R, but this may not be feasibe while retaining the fault tolerance of the "one side on" approach (design of contactor ensures that if one or both solenoids fail, you dont get a short across the pack)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

sounds like you've got it figured out!

i think you'll likely want to replace your factory contactor as it will be the next bottleneck in the chain.

the controller doesn't actually go completely cold; the pre-charge resistor keeps it powered up. holla if you have any more questions! take some pictures if you can! cheers!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car