lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
HGC2010
Gone Wild

Default 03 Precendent With Charging Problems

Trying to help get a cart going that has charging problems. When I went over and looked at it the charger would trip the charger after a few minutes.

Batteries where ran down and are 2010 8v batteries on a 48 volt system. 03 Club Car Precendent.

Put my charger on it and it started to charge without tripping. After a couple of hours went by the charger and it was extremely hot but still charging. The current was 15 amps, and charger case was hot.

Voltage on the pack with charger unpluged in 48.4volts. With the charger hooked up the voltage is 50.28 but the charger gets hot very quickly because of the 15 amp or higher charge.

Thoughts?

I was thinging OBC or bad connections.

Thanks for your help in advance
HGC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
HGC2010
Gone Wild

Default Re: 03 Precendent With Charging Problems

6 - 8 volt batteries. The current DC rating on the charger is 9.5amps (power drive 2). Also, I plugged another charger on it and it got extremely warm too.

Never seen a charger get that warm while charging.

The individuals charger will not charge the cart but a few minutes and I understand why because of it exposure to the higher current and now probably has a weak circuit breaker at the 15 amps.

Was going to wash off all the batteries, check all terminals, and try to slowly get the batteries back up to the proper voltage.

Any other thoughts on what to look for or how to troubleshoot this situation?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

First check each battery for condition ( 8.49 volts ) and then total pack voltage ( 50.96 ) and post readings and then check cables for connections. EVEN though the batterys are 2010's does not mean they are not weak or defective? If all tests OK I would go to STICKIES under heading " Compelete Manual For Power Drive Charger" and check diagnostics as this should show whether you have possible OBC or wiring problems?
My personal Power drive charger runs at 15-17 amps at first as my batterys are now 9 years old and starting to loose power.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes go over all batteries , connections, and cables.......clean and tight also try load testing them and check the cells with a hydrometer..............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
HGC2010
Gone Wild

I do not think it's the charger because it does the same thing with all 4 chargers that have been hooked up to it. Will separate batteries, clean connections, and try to charge the batteries individually. After that will post results, and get this thing going again.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

First check each battery for condition ( 8.49 volts ) and then total pack voltage ( 50.96 ) and post readings

Wait 6-8 hours after charge completes to test voltages .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
G man
Not Yet Wild

03 Precedent.... didnt they start making them in 05, and only a few in 04?
G man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
patsy2222
Not Yet Wild

Have an 06 Precedence Club car (48 volt). Checked batteries (only six months old) and wiring. Charger shows they are charged and it runs, but just doesn't run like it used to.
Any suggestions?
patsy2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

welcome, are they orginal batteries? how did you check them? did you load test them did you check each cell with a hydrometer? what were your voltage readings?.........what kind of shape are cables in? all you really need is one weak link and it effects the whole system........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
HGC2010
Gone Wild

They are 8 volt batteries and are 2010's

Cleaned all connections, checked all fluids, tightened everything, and put the charger on for 4 hrs. The batteries where not completely dead when I started but pretty low (7 volts). The charger started charging at around 16 amps, then when done to about 14.5 amps but, there is no bubbling or anything in the cells. The voltage on the batteries where all around 8.01 to 8.15 after I took the charger off before I went home. Did not want to leave the charger on with it getting so hot.

Load test shows pretty good battery but the hydrometer test shows them to be bad.

Do you think that I can continually try to build them up? I think for whatever reason that the batteries are bad.

The charger still gets warm but does not get under the 14.5 amps and I think that is why it gets so warm.

Thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car