lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Default Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent

Hi Guys, Does anybody know the best way to hook up my new 48V digital meter to my cart? It has 4 wires (I'm guessing 2 for power and 2 for the pack voltage?) I will install it in the dash, near the key. My cart has lights, if that is a factor...Thanks, in advance.
Steve
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent

no directions with it? what make is it and what color wires....is the #,rd meter or bargraph type.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Got it off fleabay for like $7 direct from China. It looks nice, has a blue LED readout and is designed for 48 volt applications. It runs on 10-15 volts. It has one of the following: red, black, white and blue. I'm sure that the red/black are to power the meter and the other two go to the pack. I was just wondering where is the best (easiest) place to make those connections.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here is something you need to check some meters of this type need separate power source than the one there reading check this first
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You can use a common ground on the meter and the other 2 wires go to the converter and the ignition switch.
I would pitch that one and get one of these 2 wire meters: http://www.fcbelectronicsusa.com/ser...all-12v/Detail
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
Got it off fleabay for like $7 direct from China. It looks nice, has a blue LED readout and is designed for 48 volt applications. It runs on 10-15 volts. It has one of the following: red, black, white and blue. I'm sure that the red/black are to power the meter and the other two go to the pack. I was just wondering where is the best (easiest) place to make those connections.

thats a lot of voltage to run it when you figure the one i have runs on 3 milla volts and is a 2 wire that that is good for 99.9 volts or there abouts.....4 wires? should only need 2 wires to power and light it..........best place would be in the dash.....do you have a link i could look at.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
thats a lot of voltage to run it when you figure the one i have runs on 3 milla volts and is a 2 wire that that is good for 99.9 volts or there abouts.....4 wires? should only need 2 wires to power and light it..........best place would be in the dash.....do you have a link i could look at.....................
If you have a Datel meter, they operate on a variable voltage of 36v-75v with a built in voltage reducer to probably 5v or so.
Some meters are called self-powered and do it internally like the Datel meter and the one I use and some use an external connection like the eBay one.
All digital meters require power of some sort to light the LED and have a small milliamp draw as a consequence.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
gsp041
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a digital meter that I got from Scotty B that only has 2 connections. There are 2 wires in the dash that are there in the factory wiring harness to connect a factory state of charge meter. It was an easy install.
Bob
gsp041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Shadow, Here is the link to the meter. There are no directions...I'll be playing with it during the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123
Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
Hi Guys, Does anybody know the best way to hook up my new 48V digital meter to my cart? It has 4 wires (I'm guessing 2 for power and 2 for the pack voltage?) I will install it in the dash, near the key. My cart has lights, if that is a factor...Thanks, in advance.
Steve
The +red and -black are the power to the meter taken from a 12 volt source.

The green will be the +48 volt source. Use the black lead between the red and green wire only for ground. Look at the picture on the eBay listing showing the big red "X".

But... you can use your light switch as a 12 volt source inside the dash and the key switch as the 48 volt source.

The meters are junk and you'll be purchasing a Datel meter soon enough... The eBay meters are not water proof, condensation proof and not designed to handle long term use. I speak from many meters installed experience. I kinda started the digital meter install a while back... many purchased the cheap ebay versions also... then most of us just went for the BEST digital meter out there... the Datel... only 2 wires and completely water proof!

Original thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...installed.html
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car