lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Precedent IQ Controller settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
BBriggs....

i just replaced a friends curtis controller that was smoked..... what i also found was a
defective tow/run switch . (SHORTED CLOSED CONTACT )

I wanted to see if it was a mechanical defect or electrical. I found the contacts in the switch WELDED closed.

you might want to check yours that would account for regenerative breaking when the controller is shut off in TOW MODE
My run/tow works fine, OP's may have had an issue.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Wow,.... Again a lot of great information and ideas from the guys on this forum. I've just read the manual for the Anti-Roll function and it verifies that it does exist and work but no information on HOW it works. My understanding of DC motors is that they requre the "Field Current" to be active to create any force or movement at all and this is measurable current load that must come from the batteries. To move the cart either forward or backwards, armature current will flow and the cart will move. What I wanted to know is if the field current (Holding force) is de-activated once the Park brake has been engaged but I think I can answer that question my self. The only possible connection for the brake and the park petal would be via the MCOR connection as there are no other connections from the foot petal assembly.

Again,... still looking for someone to provide information about the "Speed Quality" settings that actually adjust the speed. The manual indicates the basic speed as 12-15MPH,.. and the advertizement indicates this is "Selectible". Also, in the manual there is no mention at all of any requirement EVER to service or replace the oil in the transaxle.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

It would appear to me that the zero speed detect / rollaway function is controlled entirely by electronics. If there are no other inputs after zero speed is detected, the rollaway brake will be active. If non-zero speed is detected in that condition, the computer will use the motor to counter the motion. The only operational input the computer should need is the speed sensor. With the parking brake set, there should be zero speed and therefore no requirement for current to any part of the motor. If the parking brake slips, the rollaway function would kick in just as if the brakes weren't set. I don't know how many amps would be required for rollaway braking, but I would imagine it would be modest under most conditions.

I do apologize if you already know all this.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

TRIGGER`937 & BBRIGGS......

lot of questions here ....

to understand the breaking you have to realize there are 2-types. regenerative and PLUG breaking.

There are no switches or controls to tell the controller if the parking break is de-pressed or not. The system relies on the HALL EFFECT SENSOR (speed sensor) which magnetically detects if the shaft of the motor is turning a small circular maganet on the end of the motor.

The the key is off ,accelerator pedal at rest and the tow switch to run.....the controller is in sleep mode....but monitoring the speed sensor for roll away.

regenerative breaking generates a resistive force to slow the cart down and at the same time puts a slight amount of electric BACK in the batteries...when you take your foot off the accelerator. (motor acts like a generator)
One of the reasons for the TOW/run switch is to dis-able the controller so the motor doesn't FIGHT the towing as a run-a-way cart.
The tow/run also shuts down the controller so you don't accidentally ZAP (surge) any of its electronics when you mess with battery connections. (good procedure for charging during a lightning storm )

the other type "plug breaking" is usually not used and is for applications like FORK LIFTS when you need to hold the vehicle in a dead stop.

you migh be interested to see some of the settings in an ALLTREX controller

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Bruce,... The "Roll away braking is a great feature" especially since my wife and childern, etc. drive the cart from time to time. Today I tested it on the golf course on a very small slope,..so small I would almost say it was "FLAT". With the brake OFF neither me or my playing partner could move the cart 2". I suspect there is some pretty heavy current being use in this condition. I'm am not sure if my cart is set at the mild, medium, or aggressive setting and I would really like to know just how my current is being use to control each setting. Of course the Tech guys who set the controller won't let you near the unit to read any settings and they make out that what they do is so secret, even the FBI can't find out.

One other question about batteries. The Owners manual states that the batteries come with a warranty of 4 years. However, my cart was built and sold in 2008 and it obviously started out with 2008 batteries. However in May of 2010 the batteries were replaced with a brand new set and that is what I have in the cart now. So the question is,..what is the warranty on those batteries.????
Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
Bruce,... The "Roll away braking is a great feature" especially since my wife and childern, etc. drive the cart from time to time. Today I tested it on the golf course on a very small slope,..so small I would almost say it was "FLAT". With the brake OFF neither me or my playing partner could move the cart 2". I suspect there is some pretty heavy current being use in this condition. I'm am not sure if my cart is set at the mild, medium, or aggressive setting and I would really like to know just how my current is being use to control each setting. Of course the Tech guys who set the controller won't let you near the unit to read any settings and they make out that what they do is so secret, even the FBI can't find out.

One other question about batteries. The Owners manual states that the batteries come with a warranty of 4 years. However, my cart was built and sold in 2008 and it obviously started out with 2008 batteries. However in May of 2010 the batteries were replaced with a brand new set and that is what I have in the cart now. So the question is,..what is the warranty on those batteries.????
why don't you just buy a new ALLTREX controller . They are plug and play and you can connect to you laptop and not rely on anyone else. Besides it's fun to play with those settings
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Bruce,... I try not to buy things I don't need. Getting back to one of my original questions about the Tow/Run switch,..I just finished testing the cart by turning the tow/run OFF, the Key switch off, the Parking brake off,..and I still can not move the cart at all. It is LOCKED. I know the tow/run switch works because when it is off the cart will not go forward or backwards and no buzzer when selecting reverse. I would think that my brakes are set too tight but my cart will still make the 12 MPH in run mode and seems to have decent accelleration. Then again if I'm on the golf course and on a steep hill, I have to use the park brake or it will move. Something else is going on,...so I'm going to do some more testing later today.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
trigger1937
Gone Wild

OK,... I think I've solved the issue but I still have to confirm the answer. I now know that the problem is the brakes. They are set so tight they are not only dragging on the drum,..they are tight enough to stop most movement. This not only resolves the problem with the tow/run,.. it also solves the other post I have made about Herky-Jerky. All this time the brakes have been causing the herky-jerky problem especially when trying to drive at slow speed. The drum are worn out of round which is typical of most drums and as the shoes hit the high spot the brakes slow the cart down. As you drive you get the effect of "Herky-Jerky,... Laugh out Loud (LOL). I'll update my other post. By the way, my local Cart Tech set the speed function and it is wrong and he adjusted the brakes,... and they are wrong. Maybe I should ask for my money back and get someone else to do the job. Trouble is,...now I know enough about the brakes to do that myself.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

I vaguely remember someone suggested that possibility right here in this thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car