lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
MikRose
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1981 Yamaha Gas G1 muffler options

I drive my Yama just around our housing community, not on public roads. The muffler is getting too loud. I have seen the pictures of burning out the muffler, but when you have done that and reinstall...isn't it still loud even though it may be a different loud and run better? Since replacement mufflers are $200 +-, can a muffler from another type of device be used instead? Thanks
MikRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 Yamaha Gas G1 muffler options

Its a 2 stroke engine on the G1s...its going to be loud regardless of what you do from what I`ve heard
jhy6msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
gscalifornia
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My'84 G1 still has the original muffler on it and it is nice and quiet.

Others have commented that their cart was definitely louder after burning out the muffler so I haven't gone down that road.

I wonder if a person could stuff a wad of steel wool into the muffler to quiet it down a little without hurting performance?
gscalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am going to BBQ my muffler tonight when I get off work. Its getting a little chilly down here in Mississippi (45 at night) hahaha so I think a fire and some Bud Light will be a great way to spend Friday night! I don`t want my G1 to be louder than it already is, but my muffler is a lot heavier than it should be in my opinion! I will just deal with the noise I guess. Hopefully someone will let us know if your idea of steel wool will work. Sounds like a good idea!
jhy6msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
CajunLoneWolf
The Pro in procrastinate!

Yamaha

The only thing that would worry me about the steel wool would be creating to much back pressure. These Yamahas are picky when it comes to fuel air mix so I would think the exhaust is just as picky. But maybe one of the gurus will say differently. If it would work I would be willing to try it as well on my 4 stroke
CajunLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have used automotive mufflers on generators and they help a lot! I would think you could do this on a cart with flex pipe and a size adapter. You can get a muffler, flex pipe, and some clamps for around $60 at Advance Auto parts. I would do careful measuring so no exhaust components are near wiring or fuel tank. Whole lot cheaper than stock muffler. I'd see if you get any feedback on this first, as I have never tried this application on a 2 stroke engine! I see no reason it wouldn't work well, though.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
MikRose
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks all...great replies so far. I'm getting tired of wearing a gas mask when driving around the neighborhood, so any help is being considered. The auto muffler adaption is something within my budget and expertise. I'd still like to burn it out like the video showed on this site (just because I'm a pyro...), but adapting something will get looked into first I think. I'll keep you posted.
MikRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

From the pictures i have seen of g1 mufflers here on the forums there appears to be no sound deadening material in the muffler at all, (just one metal baffle). So my question is if the muffler is getting noisier than it was some time ago, where is the noise coming from? I would look closely for exhaust leaks (and noise leaks) somewhere between the motor exhaust port and the tailpipe. It does not take much of a leak for a large increase in exhaust noise. In the end if you want to keep the performance of your motor you had best go with a new oem muffler.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Two baffles........no wading.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, that inlet pipe looks twice the size of the outlet! I know it's that way for a reason, but it looks highly restrictive.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha