lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 Yamaha Gas G1 muffler options

Interesting article on 2-stroke exhaust:

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/how...care-3423.html

I realize this is far from a "tuned" exhaust, but the principles still apply. If you fool around with the design too much, you are going to change the operating characteristics, for better or worse. I think steel wool or a car-type exhaust is going to be too restrictive and cut your power down. 2-strokes rely on the expanding exhaust gas to push its way out the tailpipe, unlike a 4-stroke that has a piston pumping the exhaust out.

I agree with Caddylac Camper, make sure your flange gasket, sealing rings, springs, etc are sealing properly and there are no cracks or holes in the muffler.

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=628
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
MikRose
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well now, thanks for the picture...nice to know no wading and only baffled inside. I feel better about burning it out now. I would think carbon build-up over 20 years might be a hazmat item. Also, will look for small leaks on the seams, etc., but drooling for a good torch, just hope it doesn't flame or smoke too high for the neighbors...will do it at night. Later, and thanks.
MikRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnaz View Post
Two baffles........no wading.
Before I put this back together I straighten it out and had to cut the flanges off the baffles to get it to slide back in. I welded everything back on that was torn or broken on the flanges also........I think the ole 79 sounds great now. Good luck with the BBQ.
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
jhy6msu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did two BBQs on my muffler this weekend and it seems to be running better! I lost one of the straps that hold the muffler in, but I will find it eventually. I rode it hard last night around the neighborhood and it didn`t smoke like it has before. I`m so excited how close I am to finishing mine up! Good luck with your BBQ this weekend. Just a suggestion, Bud Light goes down well while watching the muffler burn! lol
jhy6msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
CajunLoneWolf
The Pro in procrastinate!

Yamaha

I had a brainstorm on the issue of making a stock exhaust quieter by trying one of those silencers for an ATV exhaust. I realize there will be some power loss but do you think it would work
CajunLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
MikRose
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Also, will plug some seam "gaps", but may wait until burnout!
MikRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #17
marklwhite
Not Yet Wild

I'm thinking the difference is all about the required back pressure a two-cycle engine needs...
marklwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha