lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #21
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 help

They don't show the jet kit on there site, just call and talk to don.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_262002 View Post
I was thinking about going over the carb to see when I rebuilt it if I didn't have something wrong. So how do you shim the primary clutch? and when I look on plowmans web site I can't anything but carts they have for sale. is there a differnt site I need to look at?
I used a piece of 1.5" or 2" pvc pipe, can't remember the size off hand, but I just cut it with a saw to 1/4" thick and put it behind the spring in the primary. I have a feeling that my spring is worn and it was allowing the clutch to engage during starting before the engine was running. This cured the problem and also gave me a little more rev before engaging. While you have the primary apart, clean it really well and put a tiny bit of lube on the shaft where the the sheave slides and where the barrel spins.

Yes just call Don Plowman and he'll set you up.

Yes go over your carb to make sure it's clean and float is set right and not leaking.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Well as is it sits right now I can rev it a little bit before it kicks in. I just hope it doesn't let it rev too much. I have time tonight so I'm going yo start at the Carb an maybe try the shim. Hopefully in the week or so I will have the cash to call Don an see what he says. I still would like to put bigger jets in an see how it runs.
bigred_262002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

But I was also told by a friend of mine who use to work at a golf course that when they came out new the G1s would start moving as soon as you hit the gas even before the motor started. The clutch would engage as soon as the starter started to spin.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It depends what clutch you have, the original one has a spring in it and it did not engage right away. You might be able to stretch the spring a little, or use a shim. The length determines when it starts to engage. A lot of them have been replaced with the G2/9 clutch and they don't have a spring, but they hit the frame when you lift them as they stick out a long ways.

I'd say you have one issue or another....either it is low on power or your clutches are not shifting properly. Does it pull as well or better than before at any speed? If not it might be an engine issue. If it pulls good at a speed and not at other speeds then I'd start with the clutches.

You cut the head for more compression, which is good it only has 6:1 it gives a little more power all over. If you raise the ports with porting or with double gaskets you need to cut the head or cylinder to get the compression back up, because higher port lowers it. Higher port will give more power at high rpm, less at low rpm, mostly the exhaust port affects that. Double gaskets is a way to raise the ports without cutting metal.

If the timing is advanced it should act a little doggy in reverse retarded. The timing will mostly let it rev out higher at top speed.

Check your plug for jetting, that could kill power too. I would run the stock airbox if you have, until you figure this problem out. Stock jet should be fine then unless you have a leak or something. Were the reeds looking good when you put them back in? You can loosen the muffler enough to get a big leak to the cylinder, test run it and see if that makes it run better, that would tell you the muffler is plugged. It should be really quiet too, they ping at idle and you can't hear it with a plugged muffler.

G1s did vary new, some were much faster than others....some the clutches did not shift as well as others. I took care of 60 of them at one time. The fastest one was mine and ended up with a cut head, timing advanced, clutches worked on a little, etc. I should have bought it but 600 was a lot of cash for me way back then lol and I didn't have any use/place for one like I do now. I bought beater cars for 150 back then.

The G1 stock does have a lot of power at low rpm, just like the newer 4 strokes, that is why the newer clutches work just fine on them. But they will rev much higher on the top end just don't have much power up there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So far I want to thank you guys for all the info. Every little bit helps.

As for the primary clutch I would say its the older one because I did lift the cart 6" an only the rear clutch hit so I will try an see if I can shim it out tonight an see if that helps.

As for how it ran before I have no clue. The cart didn't run when I got it so I can't compare the difference. But it seems to run the same at all speeds so I'm thinking motor issue. I don't think I want to raise the port any because I do need low end for climbing hills. But now you talking about the clicking sound I have heard that the last few times out so maybe when I did the muffler BBQ it might of knocked somg loose an plugged it up. When I 1st got it back together I went an got the stock plug for it an it didnt run right so with these carts running lean anyway I dropped down one size an it helped. So if the muffler is plugged an the colder plug in it is helping it run better because of the less air flow maybe that is the issue. I will play with that tonight also an see how it runs.

I will also try to run it up the same hill in reverse an see what it does. That souls tell me if the timing needs to be moved the other way.

So plans for tonight. Run it backwards an see how it runs check muffler to see if its plugged an take thecarb apart an go over it to see if maybe I missed something. Also maybe if time will be on my side shim the clutch an run it.
Ones again thanks guys you all rock. An sorry for any typos it's hard to type on a phone with big fingers an a little keyboard.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm not sure how to describe it, I only ran a G1 stock never ran one lifted. I had the one I worked on and another I did less to. Either one would never bog on a hill, or I never found a steep enough paved hill they would always spin even with two people on. They were certainly faster and more powerful than a stock G9 (both only with no governors). I could do huge powerslides in gravel drives with G1 and just a little spin around with a G9, and at one time I had 10 G9 to play with. While the G1 was faster it was not a huge difference except with top speed the G1 was way faster in top RPM. A good running G1 can hit around 30mph no problem a 4 stroke will never rev that high. With a lift the gearing is going to hurt that, but should still run pretty good. My G9 will slow on hills for sure with 22s, so sure a G1 will also, they are still only around 9-10HP.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Well I have the lift on there but like I said earlier I'm still running the stock tires an rims for now. I want to get this fixed before I put bigger tires on it. So yeah its lifted but the motor don't know that with the small tires on it. I had it in the back part of the yard about a week ago an the grass was wet an. Couldn't get it to spin so that was my 1st thought something is wrong here.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #29
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

OK. Here is an update on what I found today. I got home I pulled the carb off and went thru it and everything looked ok so as I started to put it back I notice oil on the block between the cylinder an where the flywheel goes. I did a compression test an it said 90lbs. So I pulled the head and cylinder and found a spot on the lower gasket that was split. So I had another one and replaced it. So since I had it lowered I went ahead and pulled the front clutch off and take it apart. When I took it apart I seen it was full of mud and rust and grime. I cleaned it up lube it and made a shim for it and slapped it back together. (By the way it is a 1 ½ PVC) now that it is back together and running I tested the compression again an its now 115. But I’m not sure if I trust that gage. But I did started when I was done an it sounds the same but it was too late to take a ride but I did run it in the garage and now it seems like I have to rev it up pretty high before it engages. Almost like a stall speed. Not too sure if I like that or not yet. I guess I will know after I drive it. Has anyone of you guys heard of taking the rear clutch apart and turning it one more notch then putting it back together and running it that way? I was told it’s almost the same as putting in one of the power springs but it won’t use as much gas. I have no clue it just what my buddy was telling me tonight. I was telling him I wanted to order one and he said not too. That the 2 carts he has at work one has the new power spring and the other they just bumped it up a notch and the one they did the bump on pulls a lot better up hill and runs smother plus it don’t doesn’t us as much gas. Just asking your input on this. So when I get home tomorrow I will take it for a ride and let you all know how it does. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_262002 View Post
OK. Here is an update on what I found today. I got home I pulled the carb off and went thru it and everything looked ok so as I started to put it back I notice oil on the block between the cylinder an where the flywheel goes. I did a compression test an it said 90lbs. So I pulled the head and cylinder and found a spot on the lower gasket that was split. So I had another one and replaced it. So since I had it lowered I went ahead and pulled the front clutch off and take it apart. When I took it apart I seen it was full of mud and rust and grime. I cleaned it up lube it and made a shim for it and slapped it back together. (By the way it is a 1 ½ PVC) now that it is back together and running I tested the compression again an its now 115. But I’m not sure if I trust that gage. But I did started when I was done an it sounds the same but it was too late to take a ride but I did run it in the garage and now it seems like I have to rev it up pretty high before it engages. Almost like a stall speed. Not too sure if I like that or not yet. I guess I will know after I drive it. Has anyone of you guys heard of taking the rear clutch apart and turning it one more notch then putting it back together and running it that way? I was told it’s almost the same as putting in one of the power springs but it won’t use as much gas. I have no clue it just what my buddy was telling me tonight. I was telling him I wanted to order one and he said not too. That the 2 carts he has at work one has the new power spring and the other they just bumped it up a notch and the one they did the bump on pulls a lot better up hill and runs smother plus it don’t doesn’t us as much gas. Just asking your input on this. So when I get home tomorrow I will take it for a ride and let you all know how it does. Thanks again for all your help.
Sounds like you're on the right track! Yeah the shim on the primary clutch will raise the rpm the clutch engages at like you described. On jack stands it appears much worse than when it's on the ground because there is no load. I think it will be fine. But....surely the mud and rust was creating an issue! These carts get abused and neglected. Mine was the same, mud and rocks up in there and dry as a bone. And nicely done finding the gasket issue. That will surely help as well.

Ok, now on the secondary clutch.... The G1's don't use the same spring setup as the EZGO's or other carts. The spring doesn't have tabs or notches. You'll see when you get it apart. The only thing you can do is get a stiffer spring for it. I have an extra white performance spring if you are interested. That will give you more low end torque and keep the engine in the power longer. Also Plowman's sells a really good performance clutch set for the G1. I have one on mine and I really like it. Made a big difference. It is machined down to a steeper degree on the sheaves and helps it shift out when loaded down and shift up when accelerating. Good mod. Need a new belt for it when you do that.

I'm very pleased with the setup I have. It accelerates hard up to about 19 mph and will wind up to 28 mph. I have pushed over 12" of snow with it. I've hauled my wife and two kids in it and it does really well. Here is my setup if you are interested:

Plowman's performance clutch kit with belt
Plowman's jet kit
Plowman's performance muffler/exhaust
1/4" shim on primary clutch
oil injection delete, mixed at 80:1
governor by pass with direct cable to pedal
22" atv tires
10" homemade atv front suspension
10" lift in rear with atv shocks

The issues you describe are the exact same issues I had before I did all the work. I started the same way you are, with the basics, and went step by step. You'll get it figured out. It's just a PIA and time consuming, but you'll get there.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha