lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
jeffjonesflorida
floridaracerx

Default Re: g1 2-stroke oil use

off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/two-stroke-gasoil-ratios-20502.html

here is a great article on ratio's with a chart at bottom..
enjoy
jeffjonesflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjonesflorida View Post
The higher the first number in a ratio the less oil is used in mixture

32:1 Common ratio for 2 stroke dirtbikes
30:1-40:1 Common use for race snowmobiles
50:1 Common ratio for 2T yard tools (trimmers, chainsaws ect..)

so 80:1 is not enough oil and 120:1 is just stupid.

even with whatever parts we needed supplied by the factory we never ran higher than 75:1 in a full mod race sled (and at that we replaced crank/cylinders/pistons every race)

my guess is slonomo has the ratios backwards?? (edit: just noticed slonomo states oil to gas ratio.. its actually GAS to Oil in the ratio.. side note:slonomo you should use more oil :) )

anywhere from 30-50:1 is fine and safe, but the carb needs to be jetted to match whatever ratio you use.
Hey Jeff, thanks for the correction, yes I did mean to say gas to oil ratio. However, my statements still hold true.

We are not talking about "race bikes" or "race sleds", these types of machines run at a much higher compression ratio and rpm ranges than the extremely mild G1 Yamaha cart. In these "race" machines it is totally necessary to run higher oil content because of heat, rpm, friction, etc, etc, etc. Running more oil also leans out the fuel mixture, since there is less fuel per ounce. Example: 32:1 fuel to oil ratio will contain 32 parts fuel and 1 part oil. 80:1 will contain 80 parts fuel to 1 part oil, more fuel per ounce. Less fuel per ounce will give more power at the expense of hotter combustion. To combat this a higher octane fuel is needed to prevent excess detonation, which can break things apart very quickly in an 8000 rpm machine, this is why the run "race gas" which is mostly alcohol.

Now with that said, the Yamaha G1 golf cart is a very low compression, low rpm slug that was never designed to run at high speeds or to have high amounts of power. What I said in the previous post was that if you run it hard you should use more oil. If you run it easy use less. I never suggested that he run the ratio that I run, which is 80:1 synthetic (with no scoring or ring wear after 1 year), but I run my cart easy. Never any top speed runs and just putting around the property with the kids most of the time. Now if he wants to run 65:1 that's great. If he wants to run 32:1, great. Whatever works for him. I was simply sharing my experience.

Now for you sir I say read my first post again, then read this one again, then respond. I think you'll find I was consistent and accurate. Your statement that I should run more oil is "your opinion" and you are entitled to that, but I will not listen to someone who has a couple posts and commands respect. You must earn that sir. Semper Fi!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
jeffjonesflorida
floridaracerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Hey Jeff, thanks for the correction, yes I did mean to say gas to oil ratio. However, my statements still hold true.

We are not talking about "race bikes" or "race sleds", these types of machines run at a much higher compression ratio and rpm ranges than the extremely mild G1 Yamaha cart. In these "race" machines it is totally necessary to run higher oil content because of heat, rpm, friction, etc, etc, etc. Running more oil also leans out the fuel mixture, since there is less fuel per ounce. Example: 32:1 fuel to oil ratio will contain 32 parts fuel and 1 part oil. 80:1 will contain 80 parts fuel to 1 part oil, more fuel per ounce. Less fuel per ounce will give more power at the expense of hotter combustion. To combat this a higher octane fuel is needed to prevent excess detonation, which can break things apart very quickly in an 8000 rpm machine, this is why the run "race gas" which is mostly alcohol.

Now with that said, the Yamaha G1 golf cart is a very low compression, low rpm slug that was never designed to run at high speeds or to have high amounts of power. What I said in the previous post was that if you run it hard you should use more oil. If you run it easy use less. I never suggested that he run the ratio that I run, which is 80:1 synthetic (with no scoring or ring wear after 1 year), but I run my cart easy. Never any top speed runs and just putting around the property with the kids most of the time. Now if he wants to run 65:1 that's great. If he wants to run 32:1, great. Whatever works for him. I was simply sharing my experience.

Now for you sir I say read my first post again, then read this one again, then respond. I think you'll find I was consistent and accurate. Your statement that I should run more oil is "your opinion" and you are entitled to that, but I will not listen to someone who has a couple posts and commands respect. You must earn that sir. Semper Fi!
LOL, cause i'm new to a golf cart forum??? haha, i don't need to tell you about anything i've done or accomplished to prove myself..
i'll stand behind my statement that at least 50:1 is needed (to be in safe zone no matter how its driven) for the OP's cart, and i'm sure its easy to backup if i really needed to justify myself to you..

and then the "semper fi"
congrats you were a marine?? this is a golf cart forum, whats that got to do with anything??
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
LOL, cause i'm new to a golf cart forum??? haha, i don't need to tell you about anything i've done or accomplished to prove myself..
i'll stand behind my statement that at least 50:1 is needed (to be in safe zone no matter how its driven) for the OP's cart, and i'm sure its easy to backup if i really needed to justify myself to you..

and then the "semper fi"
congrats you were a marine?? this is a golf cart forum, whats that got to do with anything??
So I guess it's your goal to hijack someone's thread to prove people wrong so you can elevate your self image, ok. Nice going.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

To MJ355, sorry for the hijacker.

Here are some links I found. I read up on this prior to doing my complete rebuild from the crank up. I've spent some pretty good bucks on this engine and I've read just about everything on the net about it. Read through the links and if you have any questions we'll be glad to help you. Lots of "good" folks on this forum, not just wack jobs, lol.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...1-oil-mix.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...mix-ratio.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...mix-ratio.html

One member states that the oil pump mixes at 100:1 until full acceleration. I'm not sure if that is confirmed but seems logical. The stock oil pumps work off rpm based on the vacuum pulse from the exhaust. If there is more vacuum (more load/speed) then more oil is pumped in. It's hard to say how the factory pump is calibrated though. Not sure if anyone really knows.

Also, when in doubt, use more oil. If you are not feeling comfortable using less oil, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you are running good, who cares right? As long as you don't smoke the neighbors out? LOL
Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/two-stroke-gasoil-ratios-20502.html

here is a great article on ratio's with a chart at bottom..
enjoy
MJ355, I read this article and it only applies to racing dirtbikes. While this is good information, it really doesn't apply to the G1 cart with a stock engine. The ratio chart is helpful, however. Thanks Jeff.

As a side note, I've been reading that the stock oil injection pump mixes the oil between 150:1 and 300:1 depending upon rpm etc. That seems high to me but I found that exact same statement on 3 different sites from 3 different time periods. Must have some truth to it? Can't find any Yamaha sites that will confirm this.

Anyone?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
mj_355
Getting Wild

Thanks 4 info. Im gonne go with 2oz of yamalube per gallon. I have and it smokes a lil more but dont care. F**k the neighbors No jk I live in country. I also run ski-doo (rotax power) in winter so I know if I stay going slow for a bit I go to road and run full throttle for 1/2 mile
mj_355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
jeffjonesflorida
floridaracerx

Quote:
So I guess it's your goal to hijack someone's thread to prove people wrong so you can elevate your self image, ok. Nice going.

majority of the statements were directed at the OP in my post, not much of a hijack if i am speaking directly to the OP is it???

MJ: the g1 engine is is the standard 2 stroke engine design and very similar to a 250cc snowmobile engine produced be yamaha also back in the 80's..its a 2 stroke they are all the same, g1 just runs less rpm's in stock form.
the g1 if governed to stock settings would be ok with a your mixture of 2oz/gallon, but if you have your screw turned in and blast around WOT its advisable to go with at least the 50:1 mixture.

Don't be afraid to hold the pedal down as long as you want provided you have adequate lubrication.. so that means and extra half ounce of oil per gallon wouldn't one rather do that than limit yourself on how you drive your cart???

it is ok that your cart smokes, its a 2 stroke for f-sake! even the highest dollar synthetic oils produce smoke when being burned.. its OK
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
jeffjonesflorida
floridaracerx

Quote:
MJ355, I read this article and it only applies to racing dirtbikes. While this is good information, it really doesn't apply to the G1 cart with a stock engine. The ratio chart is helpful, however. Thanks Jeff.

As a side note, I've been reading that the stock oil injection pump mixes the oil between 150:1 and 300:1 depending upon rpm etc. That seems high to me but I found that exact same statement on 3 different sites from 3 different time periods. Must have some truth to it? Can't find any Yamaha sites that will confirm this.

Anyone?
websites to confirm what?? lol
you just spent 30 minutes looking this?? lol
can't wait to see your thread about crank replacement when your wrist pin seizes up..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
mj_355
Getting Wild

ok thanks so 50:1 I can mash it longer with no problem?
mj_355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha