lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
matt711
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 Project, WWII Jeep look

So I moved into a neighborhood during the Summer and the first thing I noticed is the crazy number of golf carts. It seemed like every other house had a cart in it's garage. Time comes to register the kids in school and I quickly learned why all the golf carts live in my new neighborhood. Only two bus stops for 1200+ houses, the kid all drive carts to and from the bus stop.

So I do a little shopping and end up with an 06 G22 gas powered cart. Drivers training for the 12 year old begins... The boy starts to notice that many of the other carts look much cooler than our old rental fleet cart. So I guess a project is about to begin. The boy needs to complete a project for Boy Scouts and I need something to tinker with.

My step-son is a rabid WWII history buff (at 12 years old he knows more about WWII than I do and I have been in the Army for 22 years) so his heart is set on turning the off-white G22 into something a little more "tactical".

The plan is to paint the body OD Green, maybe some stenciled "U.S. Army" and a big white star on the hood. I found a source for the green cotton-duck fabric that the Army used to cover seats with so the seat will be recovered in that. A lift kit and some black steel wheels should round out the look. I ordered a light set from one of the sponsors to replace the crap the seller installed. Also considering a rear seat.

I have been reading all the old posts on painting carts and will do the adhesion promotor, primer, top coat method. Going with Rustoleum camo paint which states that it will stick to plastic. Will go with a Jake's Lift, not sure if I will do the 3" or 6".

Only question I have right now is about stability. Will the lift make the cart top heavy and more likely to roll? From what I see it looks like the wheel-base is both extended and widened with the spindle lift. Seems like this should offset the increased height, is that just wishfull thinking on my part? I want the lift fot the loo but not at the expense of safety. My 12 year old will be the primary driver of this thing and if he rolls it my wife will kill me.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Matt
matt711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 Project, WWII Jeep look

Welcome to BGW!

Sounds like a cool project. For more stability you can add wheel spacers. >>http://www.jakesliftkits.com/search....w=wheel+spacer

One of my projects.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

Sounds kinda' familiar, huh Ron?
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I home made a very plush suspension and with the added width it's more stable then stock. You will be surprised at how stable a lifted cart can feel. Personally I say go with the 6" lift and some 22"-23" tires. If you go 3" in the back of your mind you'll always wish you had gone 6" just for the bit extra.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjoker View Post
Sounds kinda' familiar, huh Ron?
Yep!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here is my Geep II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g68.JPG (120.4 KB, 0 views)
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

I did a homemade lift (pachanga style) on my G9 and only widened my front end about 1 inch per side, moved it forward about 2 inches and the lift gave me about 5 inches in height. I would say my cart is just as stable now sitting on 22 inch tires as it was stock. Here's a couple pic's hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0179.jpg (180.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0183.jpg (198.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0185.jpg (290.8 KB, 0 views)
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I painted my cart with the Rustoleum camo stuff from HD. It did great. I didn't even prep very much and it's holding up great. No peels or bubbles.

On a side note, I do wish I had just kept it OD Green! I might have even put on the white stencils that said "ZOMBIE DESTRUCTION VEHICLE" or "OUTBREAK CONTROL VEHICLE"....but the wife, neighbors, friends, family, pretty much everyone would think I'm crazy....and they're right!

Good luck, and looking forward to some build pics!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Irishjoker
Tay-maha or Yama-dunn
Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorstick View Post
I did a homemade lift (pachanga style) on my G9 and only widened my front end about 1 inch per side, moved it forward about 2 inches and the lift gave me about 5 inches in height. I would say my cart is just as stable now sitting on 22 inch tires as it was stock. Here's a couple pic's hope it helps.
Hey Bill, is pachanga paying you on the side to push his lift?
Irishjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjoker View Post
Hey Bill, is pachanga paying you on the side to push his lift?
I wish Just trying to give credit where credit is do.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha