lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Turn Signal "bleed over"?

Curiouser, and Curiouser, as Alice said. And I feel like I've got a Cheshire Cat grin looking at me, just knowing that I am totally confused.

Ray (bigstik), it does have dual element bulbs, and there are two contacts in the bulb socket. The tabs on each side of the bulb are offset (height-wise), so that the bulb can only be fastened (rotated) with the proper tab on each side. I checked the grounds again, and they appear to be good. Cleaned all of the connectors too.

I'll get some pics so I can better explain my predicament, and since my G-3A parts manual appears to be missing a relay or flasher, I'm not sure what I've got. Obviously a golf cart this old could have been modified and different parts replaced (maybe erroneously) by many different previous owners, so I may have a bad part, but I can't ID it with the parts manual.

I really appreciate everybody's help on this one. Sadly it's such a small thing that probably would be un-noticed by 99% of the people, but I guess I'm just anal about wanting things to work properly.

Ogre
BTW, did I mention that I HATE electrical problems!!
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Try swapping for some new bulbs,could be a defective one thats shorting out,I've seen it before.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OGRE: Do you get this "bleed" only on the front or do you get it front and rear?? Also, is the "bleed" the same with right and left turn signal or with just one?? It is most probably your parking light filament that is lighting up from the bleed. You may want to look to see if that is the case. I believe this is definitely a weak ground return problem. Good luck - RAY

P.S. - Also try cleaning the brass bases of the light bulbs and also the sockets may be dirty and need cleaning or replacement.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, I’m gonna try this. I took the pictures looking to the rear of the cart, so on the left is the right rear, and on the right is the left rear. I couldn’t figure out a way to take the pics (because of the fiberglass rear) from the rear to get the proper perspective. Sorry…

On the left is the store bought bright yellow flasher (disregard it, since I put the original flasher back on after determining that the flasher was not the problem). The original (pic 3) has definitely seen its better days, but it still works and you can see it connected in pic 1.

According to my G-3A parts manual there is one flasher relay ass’y on the left , and two flasher relays in the middle, with a “control unit assembly” on the right, even though the diagram in the manual shows three total units (part of my confusion). I won’t go into the part numbers unless somebody really needs that to help me diagnose.

For Ray (bigstik), the top filament in each bulb is for the park lights ONLY. The bottom filament is for the turn signals and the brakes, and that is the filament that flashes dimly on the wrong side when the turn signal is activated. Also the front turn signals work fine.

Start troubleshoot:

1. Remove the left ass’y (turn signal flasher) and no turn signals work. With the brakes applied, when I activate the left turn signal, the right brake light goes out and visa versa. Otherwise, brakes and park lights are good.

2. Reconnect the turn signal flasher, and remove the next ass’y from left (right side of cart). Left signal and brake light work, right brake and turn signal is off, and park lights (both sides) are ok. Ass’y appears to control filament for brake and turn sig on the right side.

3. Reconnect that ass’y and disconnect the next (from the left) control unit ass’y and the opposite of the previous actions occur. Appears to control the left filament for the brake and turn sig.

4. Reconnect that one, and disconnect the next one (far right in the pic 2 and Last pic below), and the brake lights are inop, but all else works fine, including turn signals and park lights. Turn signals had NO “bleed over” at all … very crisp and distinct turn signals. Appears to control brake lights, and when connected allows for bleed over of turn signals. THAT “CONTROL UNIT ASSEMBLY” IS THE PROBLEM!! The assembly has four male connectors on it, but only three wires (female connectors) are used in the connection).

If anyone has a G-3A Parts Manual, on page F-3, the part numbers are listed and the part numbers do not match what I have in the pictures. Perhaps the Control Unit Ass’y is the wrong unit, and there should be only three male connectors, or the wrong three are connected.

As I stated before, with a cart this old, and probably several previous owners, there is no telling what assemblies I have.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Any ideas for repair?

Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (161.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0457.jpg (133.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0461.jpg (112.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oh, I forgot to add:

I've had it for today. I'm gonna try to reason through all of this tomorrow (probably wake up in the middle of the night), and work it tomorrow.

Ogre
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

From your description, I think you are correct in suspecting a problem to do with that far right module. The fact that the "bleed" lights a turn signal filament does rule out the weak ground theory ! Without a wiring or schematic of that module and your cart it will be very difficult to offer any more help. Let us know how you make out. Good luck - RAY
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
From your description, I think you are correct in suspecting a problem to do with that far right module. The fact that the "bleed" lights a turn signal filament does rule out the weak ground theory ! Without a wiring or schematic of that module and your cart it will be very difficult to offer any more help. Let us know how you make out. Good luck - RAY
Thanks Ray. Just a guess that a previous owner could not get the correct assembly and got one that is close enough to make the turn signal and brake lights work.

I thought if I could ID the control assembly, P/N "0 8 9"(or whatever) I might be able to determine the output terminals and check to see if they are functioning properly, but I will most likely just order the correct assembly.

Does anybody have a good source for old Yamaha Parts, specifically P/N J42-85590-01-00?

Ogre
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I got a couple hits on google. Try it. Looks to be $60-$70. - RAY
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
I got a couple hits on google. Try it. Looks to be $60-$70. - RAY
Yep, got a couple of hits, Ray. I am somewhat suspicious as to whether anybody has one in stock, so I will be making phone calls before ordering.

I'll follow-up and close the loop after I get the new unit, so that anyone else with this problem has some ideas on what it might be.

Ogre
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

UPDATE !
Just got the new control unit installed, and it fixed everything.

So the PO replacement assembly looked right and had all of the correct "external specfications" including the four male teminals, but it was causing the "bleed over." Now the turn signals are sharp and crisp with no illumination of the opposite tail light.

I appreciate all of the assistance with troubleshooting ...
Ogre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha