lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Possible G16 Purchase this week - some questions first though

Greetings - This is my first stop here at the Yami forums (PLEASE don't snitch me out to the guys over at the EZGO Gas threads, LOL). I have been an EZGO guy for several years but have what *looks* like a great opportunity to pick up a 1996 G16 at a pretty decent price and I have a few questions to firm up prior to pulling the trigger if someone(s) have a minumte or two to lend an opinion or three.

First, the cart is a '96 G16 with a 6" Jakes drop-axle lift and 23's on 10" rims - pretty basic setup, the cart looks pretty clean, of course I'll be doing the obligatory inspection(s) that one would do on any cart RE rust, spindles, steering, brakes, exhaust, operation, etc - is there anything Yamaha-specific I should keep an eye out for? Eventually I'll likely go to a long-travel lift, but for now the cart will likely run out the year on the drop-axle ...

I'm no stranger to mods, etc and of course the governor will go, a tach will join the fray, and she'll immediately be getting a bellyfull of synthetic oil ... The short-term plan (prior to spring) from what I've picked up on here while lurking would be a Zemco header and a K&N-style filter, possibly hone out the main jet a bit if needed (gonna be a trial-and-error deal, I'm guessing) and likely a torque spring and the old "shorter belt" trick - anything I'm considering that's going to be overkill or duplicious? I live at an old Ski resort so we have NO shortages of hills (some are relatively silly ones, too) but as a rule, the cart will be run on relatively groomed trails with the pedal mashed firmly to the floorboards (within reason, LOL) ... I'm assuming from what I've read I should easily pull about 29-30mph with the mods I have considered, anyone care to clarify a bit further for me?

Thanks in advance for the help and/or ideas - the cart is about 3hrs away so if there are any things I need to be sure of I will only have one shot to get it right - I'm looking at around $1200-1300 so I'm relatively sure the price is in line (my goal would be to budget the whole thing w the performance mods at around $1600-1700 so I should be able to stay in line there too I would guess) - anything I need to know? Thanks again in advance !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Possible G16 Purchase this week - some questions first though

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...tml#post840974

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hahahaha - yeah, I've been preparing myself for a lot of that sort of thing :)

Truth be told, I've never spent more than a couple of hundred dollars on the start of a cart project, but I've always had a soft spot for the old EZGO 2-strokes (which if they're rough can be a pretty great way to launch a project that You know will come together beautifully wihtout over-spending along the way) - this purchase has me a little nervous because of it though. Again, I'm pretty solid as far as knowing the basic inspection tricks (measuring wheel and body spacing, basic mechanical, compression, etc) but again, this will be my first Yami so anything someone can throw at me will be appreciated :)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Hehe. We're all about having fun here. G16's are really great carts. The fastest stock cart I ever owned was a 99 G16.

Drive the cart up a big hill, if it pulls the hill fine, no noises, and good visual inspection of everything, should be a good cart.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Do you have any pic's of the cart? If not and you can get some, we can check it for you. Get some of the engine compartment, etc...

Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This is the best of the 3 cellphone pics I have to work with so far:

2013021695103511.jpg

Like I said, the cart is a couple of hours away and I won't have a TON of time to go over it with a fine-tooth comb as I normally would if it was local and/or 70 degrees outside, LOL ... I realize it doesn't help at ALL ... Except of course to point out the incredibly hacked stereo setup (which is OK as I have an extra overhead console and head unit to swap it out with). The guy bought it off-lease 3 years ago and did the lift/stereo, other than that it's supposedly stock. The tires are 4-ply, the rims are history as soon as I buy it (if I do) - Does the price sound right for a relatively stock 96?

Just for fun, I have an extra EZGO TXT cowl in white laying around I may mess around and try to graft onto it in place of the stock Yami (just to be different and/or difficult, LOL)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Cart appears to be in great shape. Good price as long as there is no mechanical issues. Like I said, find a hill and punch it. It may struggle a little if it doesn't have the torque spring on the rear clutch with the bigger tires.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The price is good, I would look over the wiring and such as it appears the PO has added stereo and such. As Sprid says drive it till the engine is hot and check it out.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Here's a good site for more info about Yamaha carts.

http://yamahagolfcar.com/partsandser...rsmanuals.aspx

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Dooms has a good point. Make sure everything is grounded to the battery neg. post. Yamaha's are do not like frame grounds. Make sure he hasn't spliced into switches, etc... also.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha