lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default severe duty belt

just wanting some input on these belts. Are they worth the extra money? Are they wider than the stock replacement belt? i haven't replaced my belt since i got it back in the 90's so ive gotten my money out of this belt. When i measured it i come out with 40in and stock is 39in so ive definitely gotten my use out of it.
thanks for the reply's
donetheconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
hello
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: severe duty belt

I have the cpp one on my golf cart . I would buy another one in a minute they are wider and shorter than stock.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

what is better about a shorter belt?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetheconversion View Post
what is better about a shorter belt?
It is not anything to do with being shorter in general but how the belt fits the drive.
A wider belt will start out up higher in the secondary sheave, this coupled with a proper length belt will provide the lowest gearing possible when starting off but still allow the full range of ratios.
If a belt is narrow it will not be near the largest diameter of the secondary.
If a belt is long it will ride up in the primary sheave at engagement and not provide a low gearing as well as not pull down in the secondary providing a tall ratio.
If a belt is too short it will be forced down the secondary as well and affect the range of ratios available.

Shorter is not necessarily better as far as belts go and nether is too long.

Also the higher performance a belt construction is is not good for performance on a low powered machine.
The surface rubber in a real high performance belt is blended to withstand high temperatures and generally has considerably less grip than a standard belt. These belts need a considerable increase in clamping force so as not to slip.
The internal construction is also designed to transmit hundreds of horsepower, not something of concern in a 12Hp cart.
We are better off with a good quality basic belt that fits out drive right.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

sounds good to me charlie thanks for the post
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have the CPP kevlar belt on my cart it works fantastic. It is wider 1 1/4 I believe however I was thinking I bet that 1/16 has been worn off my old clutches anyway. I doubt the length is different, though it could be. I don't know if it is for 100hp, those belts are usually a lot more than $50. I do have a clone in my cart now but it is certainly long way from 100hp, maybe 17 or something at best. This belt is double cogged like the utv belts, the top is cogged. It is supposed to bend easier that way and thus is more efficient. It also throws more air so it runs cooler they say, but I agree likely not a problem on most golf carts as power is so low. There is no way this belt slips on this cart, but not stock engine. I doubt it would and have never heard anyone say it was an issue. So for the extra $15 I think it is well worth it, and if it lasts longer then an even better deal. The extra width also helps it sit higher in the secondary, that gives you a lower takeoff gearing and it works. It works similar to a cut sheave that way. I suppose you could buy a normal wider belt too, but I don't see any problem with this belt. I don't think it is the same belt 100+HP sleds use, maybe 60HP sleds use it like 340-500cc. There may be other HD belts out there that are different, this is the one from CPP and they have a good rep here for a reason.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

sho thats exactly what i wanted to hear on the width. i had heard that they where wider but i couldnt get any dimensions. i did order it this morning so we will see how it goes! thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Like I said you might find your length in 1/16" wider stock type belt and do the same thing especially for worn clutches....but I think if it lasts longer it is well worth it (even ignoring other benefits).

I also have the yamaha belt that was on it, maybe couple years use on it, not that worn (used w/stock engine that was tired so very little trail riding then). This belt certainly works better than that one I tried it. I'm going to machine my secondary on top of that, see if I can pull the front then lol. It will pull it a few inches now if I do it just right, and stock clutch is not exactly helping (with its smooth low-ish rpm engagement).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On my G1 that I am swapping in a Bravo engine I am going up to a 1¼" wide belt, a 1/16 more than a stock new belt would be and 1/8th wider than my worn original belt. My belt is longer than would work on a stock cart so I am moving the engine forwards as needed to provide the proper length adjustment, this also allows for carb clearance that is necessary.
The belt I selected was a Dayco HP series belt, nothing special, just a good belt.
There are many levels of higher performance belt and I expect most of them are just fine for our needs. I also expect that the real high end belts we should not be trying are only made in wide widths that would never be suitable for our carts.

I am looking forward to how well this pulls.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha