lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
BrandonH
Not Yet Wild

Default Need more Torque

Some may have seen it in other threads that I recently bought 2007 Yamaha Drive. It is lifted with larger tires, which I know changes it the same as having a higher gear ratio. Only modifications that I've done have been replacing the governor spring with the heavy duty one and adjust the governor. Yesterday was the first day we took it out to the ranch and I am a little disapointed in the low end torque. When loaded with myself, my wife, and two kids there were several spots that the cart could not climb the hill. We have very rocky and hilly terrain, and as long as I was solo in the cart I could manage to make it up the hill.

Are there any inexpensive mods I can do to increase the torque? I'm new to carts, so if you recommend something please be very descriptive. Pics and links are even better.

Thanks,
Brandon
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Default Re: Need more Torque

I really don't know a great deal about the drive but I can say that in my cart, also Yamaha, the answer is stiffer spring in the secondary clutch and possibly re jet the carb. The best man on the planet to answer your question is Don at Plowmans Carts. He's beyond honest and will tell you what to do and what is a waste of money. He's a site sponser so you can get his # above. good guy and fun to speak with! Good luck Look at that, 500 posts!! I talk too much.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Sorry, the red spring is what I'm talking about. I went with larger tires and upgraded to avoid the problem your having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine 003.jpg (27.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Don at Plowmans, I second that opinion. For $400 his "Hot Setup" is unrivalled in what it will do for your cart, I just put one on my G16 with the little 301 engine and with 160lbs of Me, 270lbs of my buddy, on 23" tires we were literally ACCELERATING up 20% hills. I've owned several EGO's, modified and stock as well as driven almost ALL of 'em and there are two words I can use to describe the difference with Don's "Hot Setup" (the first one is "HOLY" and the second one I can't post here, LOL)

$400 - DONE. Unbelieveable :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
BrandonH
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Our ranch is in middle of nowhere with no reception, but was able to post while we are in town. I will check back in later this week when I return to civilization.

As far as the kit is concerned...how difficult is it to install?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 3. No problem if you have any mechanical skills at all. Always people here to talk you thru it. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

also look into a machined sheave from cartpartsplus (site sponsor) along with the stiffer secondary spring and a wider belt i was able to order all three from cpp for 185. cant speak on how well it works they should be in friday, but from what i read it really helps with torque.
donetheconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That's always an option (the machined sheave and spring w belt) if You can live with the stock 9hp and the limitations it has, depends on how much heavy pulling or hills You're planning on getting into ... I can't speak to how much difference just a spring and sheave would make (my "Hot Setup" came with an entire new machined driven clutch, bushing, torque spring, power belt, etc as well as the engine mods) but I CAN say that swapping the rear clutch was about 40min with a buddy helping, the engine parts swaps, rerouting the throttle cable and adjustment, etc was about another hour or so (but I had to tweak it a few times to get the cabling *just right* having bypassed the transaxle/governor entirely) and with the detailed instructions (photos too) that Don provides, it's a pretty easy project, the only tricky part is compressing the clutch spring but there's a "sticky" at the top of this forum that recommends using a ratchet strap which I HIGHLY recommend, especially if doing it yourself.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The Drive "Team Clutch" is differant then all other Yamaha secondary clutch's. You also need to know if the Yamaha "drill fix" was performed on the secondary clutch. Don't know about machining, never heard of that on the Team clutch. I will tell you, there is a clutch guru by the name of Erlandson, Glen is the go to guy for any style belt driven clutch set up's. If the clutch was drilled, Your Yamaha dealer has a kit (developed by Erlandson) with a special collar and his new stronger spring. Tom at CPP sells his stuff, may give him a call. Erlandson also has a "kit" that has the new seconday spring, new kevlar drive belt and new rollors and a return spring for the primary clutch. Might give Tom @ CPP a call and see if he has them available. PS, if you PM me the serial# of the car I will check to see if it was drilled the Yamaha service website. Sorry for the long post.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
BrandonH
Not Yet Wild

Looks like I have plenty to read and research about when I return to civilization tomorrow night. Can all these mods be done through the front seat, or will the body need to be removed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha