lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Default No slow speed?

I fixed my earlier problems, hooked up the fuel lines and oiling system the way it's supposed to be and the engine just wouldn't run. After examining the carb I found the pilot jet was soldered closed, I'm assuming that after removing the airbox and putting on a k&n filter the previous owner tried to make it richer?

I drilled the pilot open and was going to drill the main jet too but decided to see if it would run first.....it fired right off and ran like a champ! But had no low speed. I decided to bypass the governor while I was at it, still same problem.

When giving the cart gas, you hear the click and then it's like a 1/4 run at the track.... If you're not holding on, you're in for a ride! There is no slow speed, it runs amazingly well, I ran it all day and gps'd at 26 mph with great throttle response, just nothing less than hold on tight speed.

Any idea why it goes from off, to oh sh1t ....with nothing in between?

Thanks
Steelhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: No slow speed?

Is the throttle return spring still on the carb. If it's missing, it will do what you described.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Just went and looked, still hooked up
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Make sure the spring is working correctly.
The cart can't take off like that if the throttle isn't opening. With the key off, press the pedal and look at the throttle butterfly. It could just be that the linkages aren't letting the butterfly close all the way. That's adjustable.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll check in the AM and let you know what I find
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

People seem to think if you adjust the throttle cable way up it will go faster, of course it is the governor that controls speed not the cable. Most yamaha you pull the floor panel up and adjust the cable so the switch hits, the top of pedal moves about 1" more and then the carb starts to open. You should be able to get the carb all the way open on the floor no problem. For speed adjust the governor or spring on it. After adjusted it can idle with pedal just on a little, you can set the idle speed and mix. Should idle just faster than the starter spins, pretty slow idle. I do this because it starts up much faster with the idle set, and I can stop and keep foot on pedal to keep it running if I want...though it takes a little practice 1" is not much room.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

Sorry it took so long....rough weekend

I fixed the issue, the throttle was never fully closing. Turns out the cable was rusty and not moving all that free. Replaced he cable and we are good to go now! Thanks for the help.

Next issue, the choke need to be open halfway to run. Plug reads lean. I assume I need to open the main jet being that I'm running a k&n styler filter. What size do I open it to?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It screws the mix all up if you don't have the stock airbox on and put together tightly. What I did is get a torch tip cleaner and file the jet out larger with it. Do a little at a time and keep trying it until it takes off without cutting/leaning out. Then check the plug to get it closer.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Steelhammer
Not Yet Wild

I read about the torch cleaner tip alot on here, I'll have to look around and see if I can find where to buy one.

Any idea where I can just buy the size jet I need? Arthritic hands and small jets don't mix too well.
Thanks for the help
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can buy a larger jet, but would be guessing about size. You might find a place that sells a K&N for the cart and figured out what jet is right.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha