lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
MudBuggieMan
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 PDS...limp home mode problem.

Gotta another board stumped with this one.....

2000 PDS with 2 year old batteries, controller, and solenoid. Batts check good with voltage test and hydrometer. Replaced solenoid with a new one to rule that out. All connections good and new 4 ga. cables. It has the (1 beep) standard all terrain chip in it now. I was told when buying that the controller was recently replaced (it's a curtis, and the correct one), and the batts are indeed just over 2 years old.

Problem: Cart runs faster than normal with the regular chip in it. Runs 17 mph gps speed and will continue at this speed until I stop and let the solenoid click. At this point when taking off it's in a super slow mode. The owner's manual describes it as a limp home mode to prevent further damage to the cart.

It will do this consisently, and after turning the key off, and letting the cart sit for about a minute, it will start back up in fast mode but again repeating the same event.

I do get an error code in the diagnostic mode of 3-2 (solenoid welded) but I got this before and after I placed the new solenoid in. Checks are bad on solenoid and ITS, but both appear to be operating properly. ITS is set within specs checking with drill bit.

So, what is causing the cart to go faster than spec?

What is causing the cart to go into limp mode?

Can the controller actually tell if it's going to fast and put it into limp mode?

Motor is not hot. Cables are not hot. Voltage test all appear normal other than they drop down to about 31 volts when going up steep incline but build back up to normal quickly. Torque appears a little weak, but I do have a lift kit on it.

Any ideas before I pull my hair out?
MudBuggieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 2000 PDS...limp home mode problem.

How many volts are you running?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't tell you how many times I have heard the 3-2 beep for a solenoid and it ended up being a bad controller. You don't know if the controller was replaced with a rebuilt one? What do you mean about running at 17mph until the solenoid clicks? Do you have any regen braking when you let off the throttle? If you don't, then that feature has been disabled and a rebuilt controller has been installed.

Your cart lifted? You can't run a PDS lifted on a stock controller for very long. We will add a 400amp AllTrax to any PDS that has been lifted. Stock controllers cannot handle big tires...

PS - A single beep means no chip, it can either be a 'blank' or nothing at all.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
MudBuggieMan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
How many volts are you running?

36v
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
MudBuggieMan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have heard the 3-2 beep for a solenoid and it ended up being a bad controller. You don't know if the controller was replaced with a rebuilt one? What do you mean about running at 17mph until the solenoid clicks? Do you have any regen braking when you let off the throttle? If you don't, then that feature has been disabled and a rebuilt controller has been installed.

Your cart lifted? You can't run a PDS lifted on a stock controller for very long. We will add a 400amp AllTrax to any PDS that has been lifted. Stock controllers cannot handle big tires...

PS - A single beep means no chip, it can either be a 'blank' or nothing at all.
Looks like a new controller and the numbers match to a the correct model for replacement.

Will run 17 mph all day as long as I don't stop. When I stop, I can hear hear the solenoid click just a couple seconds later. Then it's in slow mode.

Yes, I have regen braking or it would go 25 mph down hill.

I just lifted the cart. Problem occured before lifting and is on going.

A single beep means it's all terrain....and yea, there is a plugin there.

I have a '01 CC car lifted and the controller has held up well for over two years now.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

CC and EZ aren't the same. Your controller is probably on it's way out, but could be something else. A lifted PDS will eventually need an aftermarket 400 amp controller...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
MudBuggieMan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
CC and EZ aren't the same. Your controller is probably on it's way out, but could be something else. A lifted PDS will eventually need an aftermarket 400 amp controller...
Really? Thanks for all you help with trouble shooting this. Hell man, it's the controller then. I'll go toss some money at it.......
Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBuggieMan View Post
Really? Thanks for all you help with trouble shooting this. Hell man, it's the controller then. I'll go toss some money at it.......

scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
MudBuggieMan
Not Yet Wild

Problem 2....Just discovered while trying to push my cart in the garage that it will not push forward in the tow mode, or the run mode for that matter. Will push backwards but is locked up trying to go forward.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Have you checked your wiring yet?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO