lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Sky Campbell
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 running rich

I'm really stumped on this one. I replaced the carb last year and from the beginning it ran rich. It never needed to be choked but you would have to feather the accelerator to get going. Then once it opened up it ran fine. Still always running rich. A couple weeks ago it became worse to the point it would start and run but it wouldn't open up to full throttle.

Air box is clean with new filter. With it disconnected it still runs rich.

New plug ngk br4es tried running a bpr2es with same results. Plug becomes black and fouled.

Valves set and checked at .004 compression is 155psi

I have adjusted the float to the lean side. Small adjustments to the point it wasn't opening then backing off a bit.

The carb is opening all the way and returning as it should. I have cleaned it but it is spotless and can't imagine debris could cause it to pass more fuel.

Lack of a high end mixture adjustment tells me it could be set to rich from the factory but the fact the problem has become worse has me head scratching.

This cart is shared by kids and they are pushing me to take it somewhere and have it looked at. I'm sure I'm missing something something. Please any advice will be greatfully appreciated.
Sky Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Default Re: G2 running rich

could take off the airbox and see if it runs better, might have to rejet but something should be wrong or different
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Sky Campbell
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks but it still runs rich with the air box disconnected at the carb.

Seems like I'm drawn to it sometime before bed and checked the output of the fuel pump (grasping straws) it does surge a bit when you let off the accelerator but seems normal. Obviously it's running rich and even if the fuel pump was pushing way to much the float would fail wait is it possible the float seat is failing and the fuel is continuously pushed through the carb? It's way to late for me here to jump out of bed but anyone else think it's possible or would other signs be obvious? Like pushing out the overflow? Does the minkota have an overflow? I guess I'll check it out tmr any input is of course appreciated.

I have to say Google hasn't really helped me at all and any info I find is located here. I have searched the archives and really haven't found an answer. I really feel foolish throwing parts at it but I'm real close to replacing the carb. Anyone with carburator knowledge can tell me what jet or mixture screw could cause this and maybe I can pull it from my old carburator?
Sky Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The carb should have a overflow/vent. Whose carb? Genuine Yamaha, or knock off? Look closely at the spelling of the name Mikuni on the side of the original & new carbs. The knock off carb usually has the name spelled wrong. Also, another clue if your new carb is genuine, a real one retails for over $250. "mik-oh-no" knock off carbs have a shaky reputation of being some-good, some-bad, Made by the lowest Chinese bidder.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You say it still runs rich without air box is the lid completely sealed? I have seen a lot of these carts have warped air box lids that appear to be sealed but are not and make the cart run poorly the easiest way to fix a warped lid is run some gorilla/duct tape all the way around the seem of the lid to make sure you don't have a leak id try this before throwing any parts at it
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Had the same problem with a G16--but had oil in the filter housing and gas in the oil. The plug would get fouled and it would smoke. A new OEM float valve, jets, and idle adjust screw cured everything. This was an OEM carb...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Has to be pushing past float, you can remove the fuel pump from the system by using a hose and a bottle. Have the bottle several feet highe then the carb. Leave carb bowl off the carb and see if pushing up the float shuts off fuel. If good hook up fuel pump and crank the engine and see if it pushes past.

Check your oil or change it for saftey.

If the airbox removed doesnt help I doubt it needs to rejet, there is a problem.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha