lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS gas generator failure

If you are going to over rev it,you may want to change the pulley diameter a wee bit to slow it down,but do not go too large as it will have trouble starting
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
Doc
Gone Wild

I've always wondered-how difficult is it to rebuild a stock starter/generator? Do they sell kits?
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I've always wondered-how difficult is it to rebuild a stock starter/generator? Do they sell kits?
You can get basically any piece of the starter/generator you want. There is no "kit" put together by Club Car. I can send you an exploded diagram any time you want to figure out what parts you may need.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The most common thing that happens on the original starter/gen is the brushes wear out and the commutator wears.
Brushes are fairly easy to replace and only cost about $40 for the whole set.
The comm can be re-cut by an alternator/ electric motor rebuild shop if necessary. Most of the time just removing any scale or carbon with Emory cloth will suffice. The new brushes can be broken-in by spinning the armature shaft with a drill for a few minutes before re-installing on the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 AM   #15
demo61x
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have had two in a row where the commutator has come apart in pieces. still trying to figure out why, as I wait for the new generator to come.
demo61x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #16
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo61x View Post
I have had two in a row where the commutator has come apart in pieces. still trying to figure out why
Both where cheap ones from eBay?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

At the course I work at When a starter/gen goes bad,it is usually the brushes the first time. If the brushes are worn past there limit I replace them...then when it fails again in about 2 seasons I replace the whole starter/gen. This has worked for me for over 10 years.
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The statement that the commutator was worn out on the first starter, throws up the red flag. A over charging cart will cause the commutator to wear fast. Starters last a long time, 10-15 year old carts and the starter can still be rebuilt.
Aftermarket parts is part of the issue here, so get an OEM starter. The next step is like suggested, check the battery voltage while running. The system is not complicated.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #19
demo61x
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Wiring and the rest of the charging system are to spec, 14 to 15 volts. Is it possible this is trying to start and charge at the same time ? causing these armatures to fail ? What decides when it changes from start to charge ? micro switch ? or RPM. The rebuilder of the two failed units says the problem has to be on my end. PRETTY SURE ITS NOT !!! so they are not going to honor the 1year warranty. Cost me $30 to ship it back to them and they want to know if I want the old unit back. luckily for them they are in Georgia and I'm in Chicago or I would toss this through there window.... just want to cover all the bases before I install a O.E.M unit on it.
demo61x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #20
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

just put a oem one on it and be done. the system is not that complicated. very basic.

chalk it up as a learning experience.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car