lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
toger
Not Yet Wild

Default sputters and dies

Hi All. This is my 1st post to any forum and hope I get it right. I'm a 35 yr. mechanic (ret.) trying to help out our local 9 hole course (pro bono) that is running on a shoe string. Information and manuals are rare. Older gas club car...perhaps late 80's? Flip type air cleaner clips rather than the screw type... if that helps. The problem----> Will start and run fine when cold but after a couple minutes, sputters and dies. After much fiddling...have discovered that if I disconnect spark plug wire and ground it with a screwdriver and make it spark....then reconnect....it starts immediately! EVERY TIME!! Then does the same sputter and die after a couple mins. If I don't make it spark, it wont start at all. I've worn a hole in my head from scratching it. Plug is new and a shop 50 miles away suggested the rev limiter which i changed to no avail. Any thoughts? Much appreciated
toger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: sputters and dies

So when it dies out won't restart, you're sure that the issue is lack of spark? If you haven't done so yet, once the cart dies and you cycle it over trying to restart it (unsuccessfully), pull the plug and see if it's wet with un-burned fuel.

If it is wet, it sounds like it could be your ignition coil. A common sentiment around here is that when a coil begins to fail, it runs fine when cold, but fails once the cart (and coil) is warmed up.

What's the serial number of the cart? The VIN plate/sticker should be up under the passenger side kick panel.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
toger
Not Yet Wild

No...I don't think it's from lack of spark that it dies because as soon as it quits i pull the spark plug wire and ground it with my screwdriver and there is always spark. When i put the wire back on it starts right up. If I don't ground the wire when I pull it off...just turn the cart over...it won't start
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
toger
Not Yet Wild

I believe the coil was changed last year. I'm headed back there shortly and will find the VIN.
-Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by toger View Post
No...I don't think it's from lack of spark that it dies because as soon as it quits i pull the spark plug wire and ground it with my screwdriver and there is always spark. When i put the wire back on it starts right up. If I don't ground the wire when I pull it off...just turn the cart over...it won't start
It might actually be your spark plug at fault. If the ceramic insulation near the tip of the plug cracks, the plug will fail under compression, but still test fine when grounded and run outside the chamber. Have you tried swapping in a new plug?

Here's a thread where one of our guys had a similar issue:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...g-problem.html
Old 03-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
toger
Not Yet Wild

The plug in there now is new. It did the same with previous plug. I can't for the life of me figure out why grounding the park plug wire will then make it run. Instantly! As soon as I step on the pedal! Then die again after 2 minutes. Have wiggled and jiggled the plug wire while turning it over...won't start. Thought perhaps bad wire. No luck there either. Will always start first thing in the morning even if I've left it non running at the end of the day. The coil seems like the logical fix but why does it start when grounded. The course really doesn't have the funds for me to start throwing parts at this. Was hoping maybe someone had had a similar experience and solved the problem
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You may have a loose connection on the plug wire. Grounding it pulls more load and kind of welds a small connection. Then again maybe not but I would check it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
toger
Not Yet Wild

That was my 1st thought as well. I've tried wiggling the wire while turning it over to no avail. Strange part is...when I ground the wire and reattach, it starts right up and can be driven for about 2 mins. every time, then it craps out again. The coil sounds like the most logical choice but I don't know why I get spark right after it quits. I would have thought there would be no spark if the coil was bad.

Springbok...I read that thread and had the same experience. Plug looked ok. Little dirty but made a spark. Cart wouldn't start. Tried a new plug and away it went. Just dumb luck on my part.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

check all connections to coil and ignitor with an ohmeter for resistance.just do it!
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Did you ever get the serial number so we know what year cart it is?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car