lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
unknwn
Getting Wild

Default Fuel in oil

I am experiencing fuel in the oil with a non-modified '06 Turf1 FE350.
The first time this happened was last fall. I was puttering along and drove the cart along an off-camber (tilted sideways a good bit) and it started sputtering and then smoking really badly.
When I tried to restart, the starter wouldn't reliably crank the engine over.
I towed it home and spent a good bit of time diagnosing before I discovered that the oil level was quite over full.
I drained the oil and it became obvious that it was loaded with gasoline.
After checking the fuel tank vent, carburetor bowl components, carb vent lines , ect. I refilled the oil w/ fresh filter and tried again.
Started right up and ran problem free. I decided at that time to keep a limited amount of fuel in the tank (level below carb. float bowl height ) as it seemed as if siphoning? might be occurring???
A couple of weeks ago I ran out of fuel and refilled in a close-to-dark scenario. Started right up and drove back to the garage.
Thinking that my developing balky start up, and troublesome engine cranking over was solely due to my need to replace my charging regulator and weakening battery I forgot all about the crank case loaded with gasoline.
Bought a good battery, received my OEM regulator today. But the engine doesn't turn over with a fully charged battery. Then I thought about my previous experience. If the oil level is seriously over full, the engine won't crank due to fluid lock below the piston.
Checked the dip stick, and the oil level is over full. Gasoline stinky oil - again.
Thinking back to that dark-thirty refueling I don't doubt that I filled the tank above my mark on the tank intending to keep the tank's fuel level below the float bowl's height,
Do the fuel pumps malfunction in such a way that allows the fuel supply to siphon into the engine's bottom end?
If the situation was over-fueling/leaking into the combustion chamber and then past the rings to accumulate in the oil I would expect black-smoking-hard starting, and fuel-fouled spark plug. But the only lime I have ANY sort of smoking occurring, it was white/grey smoke due to the crankcase vent puking oil into the carburetor venturi.

The fuel pump is a black plastic type with 4 screws holding the slabs together.

Last edited by unknwn; 09-03-2019 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: subscribed thread to instant notification
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Fuel in oil

Yes, the fuel pump is 2 "parts". Theres the pulse side that basically moves a big diaphragm back and forth, and theres a "fuel" side. this has 2 chambers, and a couple valves to push fuel through one-way when the diaphragm flexes.

If the diaphragm has a crack in it, or the gasket allows fuel to pass through the "fuel side" into the "pulse side" it will basically drain fuel through the pulse line right into the crankcase.

Also, if the float needle is sticking, it can flood the engine that way as well. Fuel will basically go in through the carb, down the intake valve, past the rings and into the crankcase.

The latter is possible, but a bad fuel pump is more common.

If.you need to replace the fuel pump, be sure to get a genuine mikuni. You cam get a briggs and Stratton mikuni on amazon for around 20 bucks. Any fuel pump not stamped mikuni is junk and will fail.quickly. learned this through personal experience...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
unknwn
Getting Wild

I found the B&G Mikuni you mentioned on Amazon for about $21. (OEM Briggs&Stratton, Mikuni Fuel Pump - 808492)
Is that round Mikuni along the same line as the Club Car "retrofit" part as listed on the Club Car parts catalog ( 103781101 Kit, Fuel Pump Retrofit (includes 103010101 fuel pump) ?
That round Mikuni pump looks to be a one-piece welded/glued together unit. Is that so?
Does the Walbro 4 screw plastic pump I found on the cart warrant any further attention? There is a U.S. (Pennsylvania ? ) company that is marketing a repair kit for the "square" Club Car pump. Would that only be for the aluminum body pump? I believe that version was found on and used with the CarryAll2 of the same year.
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The walbro is not the OEM pump.

Depending on what year your cart was, it could be a round aluminum Mikuni or they switched to a plastic Mikuni, but either way it should be a Mikuni.

Best I can tell, the B&S is probably the same fuel pump CC uses, maybe with the exception of a B&S logo tooled into the plastic case as where the CC one does not have that logo. I don't have a local CC dealer and Amazon is quick, so I got that B&S Mikuni pump and have had no problems at all with it. It is on my DS with a FE350, but I compared it to the OEM pump on my Carryall and they looked identical.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car