lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Silver swan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default DRL wiring help

Looking at wiring LED bolts or bar to the front of my 2014 Drive since the wife and kids are allowed on roads in our community. Does anyone know if I can just tie into the key switch so DRL lights will come on when cart is on?

I would feel safer for family if I know they auto come on when driving cart around town.

My key switch has off /on/on lights(factory headlights) - wires ran into switch are red, brown, red/white, red/yellow - can I hook onto one of these?

Any help would be appreciated.
Silver swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: DRL wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver swan View Post
Looking at wiring LED bolts or bar to the front of my 2014 Drive since the wife and kids are allowed on roads in our community. Does anyone know if I can just tie into the key switch so DRL lights will come on when cart is on?

I would feel safer for family if I know they auto come on when driving cart around town.

My key switch has off /on/on lights(factory headlights) - wires ran into switch are red, brown, red/white, red/yellow - can I hook onto one of these?

Any help would be appreciated.
The keyswitch is on a 3amp circuit so anything over that and you'll pop the keyswitch fuse which is located near the motor and controller ( ask me how i know!!)
I have a 2016 Drive with the Havoc body kit that comes with headlights and DRLs. I connected my DRLs into my 12V reducer directly to the hot wire per Mad Jax instructions.

If you dont have a reducer im not sure how to tell you to hook them up. I know you can feed off of two batteries somehow, which is still confusing to me since the batteries are all still wired together. Someone with a lot more knowledge than me can elaborate on that.
Personally i would try and stay away from any additional draw on the keyswitch as it is one of the lifelines of the cart and you dont want to keep popping keyswitch fuses.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
The keyswitch is on a 3amp circuit so anything over that and you'll pop the keyswitch fuse which is located near the motor and controller ( ask me how i know!!)

I have a 2016 Drive with the Havoc body kit that comes with headlights and DRLs. I connected my DRLs into my 12V reducer directly to the hot wire per Mad Jax instructions.

If you dont have a reducer im not sure how to tell you to hook them up. I know you can feed off of two batteries somehow, which is still confusing to me since the batteries are all still wired together. Someone with a lot more knowledge than me can elaborate on that.

Personally i would try and stay away from any additional draw on the keyswitch as it is one of the lifelines of the cart and you dont want to keep popping keyswitch fuses.
You can get 12v of 2 batteries but it would wear on them 2 batteries more then the other 4. Do you have the electrical diagram of your cart? I think you can get 12 V from your horn if you are willing to use/sacrafice that function.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk
OxlandYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Here's the only light wiring diagram I have. Maybe it'll help. It was illustrated for how to add a turn signal indicator, so ignore that for your purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191227_155710.jpg (130.7 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Silver swan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you all for responses, I may just add a reducer as my wife would be hot if I messed any wiring up being a newbie w the golf cart. I have a factory wiring manual but it’s over my head.

I did tie into what I think is future blinker wiring (always hot) and put glow under pin lighting off a switch.

Was just hoping for an easy way to run DRL off key switch like a car.

Thanks again.
Silver swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha