lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
DIESELGREEN
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 3pg running issue

Hello all, My name is Gary and I'm a new guy here. I'm fairly new to the golf cart hobby, and I am getting to know my little Robin 2-stroke in my new-to-me '91 Marathon. I've been a diesel technician for 10 years, and know my way around the toolbox. Anyhow, after my short introduction, my cart will run for a short while and stumble and shut down. I can close the choke and then it will start and run at about half throttle, but only in reverse. The fuel pump is working, I have already pulled and cleaned the carb, barbecued the muffler, and cleaned up all the main electrical connections. I have ordered a new coil and correct plug wire for it. I have a new wire on it now but it's a makeshift from autozone for now. I am going to check the compression when I pick up a new test set tonight. Any suggestions would be great to help me along. Thanks in advance!!
DIESELGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 3pg running issue

If it runs good until it gets hot, then I would guess that the ignition coil or some other electrical component is bad (maybe the igniter). You might want to double check the fuel pump output while it is hot.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
sockethead
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sounds like it's starving for fuel.. do you have a fuel flter installed? perhpas it's clogged...

When mine did that, it was a clogged main jet but you said you already cleaned the carb...
how long is "a short while" ?
sockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
DIESELGREEN
Not Yet Wild

That's my line of thought too. I have a new coil on the way. I got my new compression tester today, and she's holding a strong 150 psi (score!). I pulled the plug after running it a short while and it was wet. Think I am losing spark. Still find it strange that it will run at part throttle only in reverse with the choke closed almost all the way after it dies out going forward.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I would check the crank seals.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
DIESELGREEN
Not Yet Wild

They don't seem to have an issue...how detrimental to the operation of the engine is a good crank seal with these?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The fuel pump works off of the vacuum pulse from the crankcase. As the motor heats up, the seals can start to lose their ability to seal the crankshaft, thus losing vacuum in the crankcase.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
DIESELGREEN
Not Yet Wild

That's the key I'm looking for. I have checked for fuel flow after engine was hot, still pumped strong. I was considering installing a small electric fuel pump to do away with the possibility of a failure of that nature. Looks like I could just cap off the fitting at the crankcase. Any negatives to doing this? I would think it would perform better than the pulse pump.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
DIESELGREEN
Not Yet Wild

I have a friend with a 2pg that chunked the stock pump for an electric one and it runs strong
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
jcurrie69
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Sounds like crank seals if you have to hold the choke on while driving. They tend to wear out over 20 years and are vital for proper operation in those 2 strokes.
jcurrie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO