lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
___Brandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Gas Precedent - Wiring Question

I recently purchased a Club Car Precedent Gas Cart that was not running when I bought it, and it was already tore apart.

The solenoid, gas pedal switch box, and shifter microswitch have been replaced.

It will run if I disconnect the wire going to the rev limiter and jump the solenoid to spin it over, but I can't get it to start by pushing the gas pedal for anything.

Is there a good way to troubleshoot this system by taking voltage checks at various points along the way (key switch, throttle switch, shifter switch, etc)?

Also, I have taken a picture of something that is in the orange wire near the solenoid just before the harness exits the engine compartment going forward. Does anybody know what this thing is? I can't find it in any of the wiring diagrams I've looked at.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIODE.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
___Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gas Precedent - Wiring Question

I see that you have some speaker wire there so you must have a stereo. the orange connector looks like it might be a plug in for an antenna for the stereo. Can you trace it? Where does it go?
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I don't know much about Precedents, mostly DS's, but the "thing" connected to the orange wire is a diode,
It ties the GCOR, (throttle micro switch assy.) and solenoid, to the engine kill circuit.

What year is your Precedent?
(Something you should always add when asking about it, because CC has been changing things year to year on Precedents!)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
___Brandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It does have a stereo, but this isn't the antenna wire. It goes out of the engine compartment and then runs across the cart toward the shifter, then up toward the throttle area.

I believe the year is 2004 - Serial # PR0435.

I"ll have to replace the diode, I let the smoke out of it. What does the diode do?

I keep pouring over the schematic. It looks like the blue wire to the solenoid go right to the key switch, so it must supply +12V. The orange wire on the other small lug of the solenoid goes through the microswitches and then to the key switch. So it must also supply +12V.

So, is it correct that for the club car solenoid to fire +12V must be present on both the orange wire and the blue wire?

The solenoid that came in my cart will fire when the blue wire is on there with +12V and I ground the other control lug, and I am thinking that is incorrect and the wrong solenoid has been installed.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep... it's a 2004!

Basically, a diode lets voltage go only one way in a circuit,
It tests pretty easy with a VOM set to ohms, put your leads on either side of it,
and it will either show 0 (or close to it) ohms or infinite, reverse the leads and it will show just the opposite!
If it shows the same reading both ways... it's smoked!

If it needs to be replaced, make sure to get the same value and make a note of which way the cathode (line) is!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
___Brandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I fixed it!!!

I think the original problem was an intermittened ignition switch. All the other issues were caused from things being miss wired and from the fuse being bypassed.

Some good troubleshooting tips:

1. Solenoid control wires - The blue stays hot whenever key is on, the orange goes to ground when all conditions are met to crank engine.

2. Throttle Sensor - The orange and green wires are to start the machine, they are N.O. and close when you push the gas pedal. The black and white wires are to kill the engine, they are N.C. and open when you push the gas pedal. The trick here from a switch logic standpoint is that when the pedal is at rest the switches are depressed, pushing the pedal actually releases the switches.

3. RPM Limiter - if you disconnect the black and white wire it will eliminate any of the mechanisms that can kill the motor. This is good to know for troubleshooting purposes.

The throttle sensor box can be overhauled using the switch below. I managed to get it open by making a cut with a saws-all acrossed the face of the unit and running a razor blade utility knife around the seam. After a little prying it open right up. And yes, I ruined one figuring this out. This will save a bunch of $$$!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Min...Actuator-5JEC7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Done in Cart.jpg (186.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Done.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
etech
Not Yet Wild

Brandon,

Wow! Thank you! That is extremely good troubleshooting. This info along with the pics will be quite valuable for those of us that own the Precedent models. That GCOR module is expensive. With this info I think many of us could repair them.

It would be nice if this info could be posted in a 'stickies' section so we can find it when needed.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good to know
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
kantuckian
Gone Wild

my 2009 has 5 wires going to the gcore would like to know if the if i jump the green and orange wire will that acitvaet the solenoid.The diode in the wiring harness is blown also is there anyway to eliminate it Thanks
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I think I'm having the same issue I just haven't dug up the harness yet to find the diode. I'd like to know if you can activate the solenoid by jumping those wires too.
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car