lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Default Putting the Taylor Dunn on a lithium diet

Most all of the skin on my cart has been replaced with aluminum, but she’s still a heavy beast. So, I brought these home today. Can’t wait to get a charger, bms, and everything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85C2F082-8462-4A90-8599-96B6693C27FD.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Putting the Taylor Dunn on a lithium diet

Looking forward to seeing how this build goes!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Looking forward to seeing how this build goes!
Thanks. I’ve been reading everyone else’s threads, including yours, watching and learning and just stumbled across these modules. I bought him out, lol.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do I count 16 modules there? You planning on using all 16 in the pack?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

No, I’m thinking of using 10. I’m 36v and until I can afford everything it would take to go 48v, I’m staying there. The lithium should push the cart a lot better and it does pretty well on aged fla batts. I just bought them all because I couldn’t pass up the deal.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

It sounds like an interesting application with your heavy duty cart.

One of the things that kept me on the sidelines with Lithium (besides the cost) is the maximum amperage rating of a Lithium battery pack vs. the amperage requirement of the cart. I couldn't get satisfied with a large enough Lithium pack rating to accommodate the occasional 400 amp draws that my cart is sometimes subjected to.

What is the maximum sustained amperage rating from your Lithium pack?

Compare that to the maximum amperage requirement of your cart in a loaded situation (I used a clamp on Fluke ammeter and now have a permanently installed Red Sea ammeter installed, so I have a pretty good idea of my amperage requirements).

I am not sure of the ramifications of over amping your lithiums, but I suspect that it is likely a shorter than expected life at the minimum, and perhaps a falure of your pack (or worse) if your batteries are significantly overloaded (due to pulling the guts out of them).

I am certainly not wanting to scare monger, but you may want to consider this, what I consider to be a limiting factor with some of the Lithium batteries out there. There are ways around this, but it usually involves have two or three packs in parallel to acheive the high amperage required for a heavy cart.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
It sounds like an interesting application with your heavy duty cart.

One of the things that kept me on the sidelines with Lithium (besides the cost) is the maximum amperage rating of a Lithium battery pack vs. the amperage requirement of the cart. I couldn't get satisfied with a large enough Lithium pack rating to accommodate the occasional 400 amp draws that my cart is sometimes subjected to.

What is the maximum sustained amperage rating from your Lithium pack?

Compare that to the maximum amperage requirement of your cart in a loaded situation (I used a clamp on Fluke ammeter and now have a permanently installed Red Sea ammeter installed, so I have a pretty good idea of my amperage requirements).

I am not sure of the ramifications of over amping your lithiums, but I suspect that it is likely a shorter than expected life at the minimum, and perhaps a falure of your pack (or worse) if your batteries are significantly overloaded (due to pulling the guts out of them).

I am certainly not wanting to scare monger, but you may want to consider this, what I consider to be a limiting factor with some of the Lithium batteries out there. There are ways around this, but it usually involves have two or three packs in parallel to acheive the high amperage required for a heavy cart.
I hear ya and I appreciate your comments. I was thinking of running two sets of 5 in parallel, but I have not crunched any numbers for my particular application. I picked these up for $30 a module, I would have bought them even if I didn’t own a cart.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:25 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good points to consider brought up by ThreeCW. Frankly, that's all over my head. I have a very basic understanding of electric. I have read and studied about this, but it just does not really compute for me. So I rely on what others have done and their advice on what components are beefed up enough to handle the loads needed/caused with these systems.

I'm sure some of the others on here who are more versed on this subject will be able to chime in on those points.

At $30 a pop, that is well worth it! What year is that Taylor Dunn?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Good points to consider brought up by ThreeCW. Frankly, that's all over my head. I have a very basic understanding of electric. I have read and studied about this, but it just does not really compute for me. So I rely on what others have done and their advice on what components are beefed up enough to handle the loads needed/caused with these systems.

I'm sure some of the others on here who are more versed on this subject will be able to chime in on those points.

At $30 a pop, that is well worth it! What year is that Taylor Dunn?
It’s somewhere between a ‘69 and ‘79, ID plate and serial numbers are long gone. I dated it using manuals and the subtle changes made to them over the years. My cart is old school resistors, so I just hammer it everywhere. I have a line on two more carts, both with the newer 400 amp motor controller setups that I plan to steal parts from to upgrade.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Some fun stuff I ran across regarding building a BMS, I’ve only glanced through it thus far.

https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMS
https://community.openenergymonitor....ng-bms/5594/10
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts