lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
6Stringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Shifting Problem

I purchased a 2002 Pioneer Club car that after warming up requires me to restart before changing from N to either F or R? If left running gears grind when you try to change. but if you turn off then restart it will engage? Any ideas?
6Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Shifting Problem

The primary clutch is sticking, or it’s idling too high so it’s dragging the belt, which will cause the secondary clutch and thus, trans input shaft, to be spinning when you’re trying to shift.

Try backing out the throttle stop screw by a hair to lower the idle speed just a bit and see if that helps. If that doesn’t change anything then it’s time to rebuild or replace the primary clutch.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I second idling too high. I had a Gator I fought for a while to get the trans to shift correctly (it had the Kawasaki fe290 in it). It had to be set to idle REAL low, otherwise it would grind when trying to shift. But enough playing with the idle speed eventually got her dialed in so it would idle all day without dying, but not grind when shifting.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
6Stringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Guys, I'll give the idle adjustment a try...
Old 10-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
6Stringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got the idle as low as possible (Screw almost out). Still won't shift. The thing that baffles me is why would turning it off then restarting make a difference?
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like the clutch is sticking and not returning to the “open” position like it should. If it’s in gear and idling does it “creep” slowly at all if you take your foot off the brake? The belt should drop all the way to the bottom of the primary clutch and there should also be an idler at the bottom of that clutch that spins freely. If it gets gummed up or rusts/corrodes to the shaft and doesn’t spin then it could have a similar effect.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
6Stringer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No it doesn't creep at all, in fact I can leave it in gear at low idle and the cart doesn't move at all. That's how I've been kinda using it rather than putting it in neutral when I stop. Due to weather I haven't, other than adjusting the idle down, got the chance to get deeper into it. I'm cleaning out a spot in the shop for it... BTW if you have any suggestions where to look first I'd welcome them. Stay tuned...

Last edited by 6Stringer; 10-25-2021 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Add stuff

Tags
pioneer 1200
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car