lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Should the Horn be a direct whort internally?

Question First - the Horn, as a standalone, it tests as a closed circuit. Is That Normal condition?

1991 G8A I needed to Honk the horn it week ago Thursday, first time in a long time. On the way home the cart felt like it hit a Head Wind. I was ready to check for dirt in the carb - and found MASSIVE Neg ground meltdowns. 1 in the rotor's Pickup coil ( that was a bitch to replace) and a full length meltdown in the wiring harness, a WHITE WIRE ( not on / in the wiring diagram ) that seems to be all the way from the battery to the Horn's ground! If I can peel the good wires from the burnt carcas of the white wire, I may need to only replace the white one, not the whole loom. But did the shorted horn cause it? Help appreciated. ( Or I have to go to a parts store and test one on the bench...)
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Should the Horn be a direct whort internally?

This is extremely confusing.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #3
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah, no kidding. I had a **** storm of Ground wires totally fried / melted . 1 was from the Pick Up coil to the connector to the Ignitor. 2nd was in the ground from the A1 at the gen to a "frame" ground on the mounting tab of the Relay. A third was in the wiring harness that goes from the battery forward to eventually the Ground wire on the horn. SOMETHING shorted, and all hell melted down. While stripping out the wiring harness, the Horn itself is internallya short, between the "hot and the Ground. IS THAT NORMAL? ( it would require power from the horn Button to be supplied, which I don't think is the case, ) so there is a Massive Short Some Flockin' Place in this outfit, I rebuilt the starter generator, - would a grounding spring on a brush cause shuch a massive blowup. Original simple question was, should the horn be shorted internally? However, if confusion rains. I'll go elsewhere for "help".
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A horn will show continuity. Something is not fused properly to melt ground wires. That said a short can start and start an arc that melts the insulation and is not enough to blow the fuse. the arc will crawl the length of the wire melting every thing close. that is why bedrooms have arc fault protection, those cheap light weight extension cords under beds and on the carpet.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As I’ve been stating in your other post since day 1… these carts are known for bad ground causing all sorts of problems and melted ground wires. Address the grounding system first before trying to “fix” anything.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha