lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Blake Cremeans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Sahara King 23" - Rolled Bead - Tire pressure?

I have some 23" Sahara King tires on my 2001 Yamaha G16. I am new to golf carts so still learning the ins and outs.

Recently, I was riding with 3 other people on the cart. Probably around 800-900lbs between all 4 of us. I hit a decent dip in the field and rolled the bead on one of the rear tires. The tire was still on the rim, just flat. I filled it back up and it's been fine ever since. Hasn't leaked at all.

My questions:
The Max PSI on the sidewall is 5 (I don't see any other PSI numbers on it).

-Aren't low pressure tires usually for a UTV/ATV? So, should I run it higher since it's on a golf cart?
-at 5 psi, seems really soft and it squats pretty good with people on the back
-uphill torque seems weak compared to neighbors with similar setups(different tires). Again, should I increase the pressure so they turn easier? (does also have brand new starter & drive belts).
-Any recommendations on pressure?
-Just get new tires? I don't mind the tires. They look nice imo, but I am open to splurging on new tires if these just don't pair well with a golf cart.

We live in the country on Michigan dirt roads around farms. 90% of the driving is the dirt road or field. maybe 10% pavement.

TIA and sorry if this is a loaded question! 😁

Attached a photo of "Salsa Verde" (my "SoS")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salsa verde.jpg (134.4 KB, 0 views)
Blake Cremeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2021, 10:30 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Sahara King 23" - Rolled Bead - Tire pressure?

Are the tires 4 ply or 6 ply ? for most offroad use they should be a least 6 ply. i run my tire pressure around 12 psi with a bead set of 35 psi . you can always chalk a strip across the tires, drive down the road 30 feet and check wear. inside wear too much pressure , outside wear too low.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
Blake Cremeans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Are the tires 4 ply or 6 ply ? for most offroad use they should be a least 6 ply. i run my tire pressure around 12 psi with a bead set of 35 psi . you can always chalk a strip across the tires, drive down the road 30 feet and check wear. inside wear too much pressure , outside wear too low.
Thanks for replying!
Ah, they are 4 ply. I bumped the rears up to 12 and they look much better. The fronts are at 6 and look the same as the rear. At least the rears shouldn't squat as much when people hop on. They will do for now, but I will probably get new tires next year or over winter.
I'm not too worried about wear as I don't plan to resell these and just want them to not fail again. lol

Any recommendations on good aggressive tires for mostly offroad use?
Old 10-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Just for conversation sake, I usually don't follow recommended PSI labels on carts due to so many different factors.
I will wet a spot on the concrete and drive forward and see what kind of pattern I lay down.
I like to get the full tread width on the print, you can tell if it's really narrow it's over inflated or light print in the middle is under inflated but again, just me.
Also consider doing this the way you most always drive it. If mostly hauling 4 people then set it up when 4 are on it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
Blake Cremeans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Just for conversation sake, I usually don't follow recommended PSI labels on carts due to so many different factors.
I will wet a spot on the concrete and drive forward and see what kind of pattern I lay down.
I like to get the full tread width on the print, you can tell if it's really narrow it's over inflated or light print in the middle is under inflated but again, just me.
Also consider doing this the way you most always drive it. If mostly hauling 4 people then set it up when 4 are on it.
Good points!
I thought the 5psi was too low, just based on how much they were squatting, but I wasn't sure about "over inflating" them. The water and tread makes sense. I may just do that and set them up for my normal driving, then just throw a little more in them if we plan to haul more people that day.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I got these on my DS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788VG1M9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

hers some pics in a thread > https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160352
Old 10-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Blake Cremeans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Those look pretty nice! How have they been holding up?
Any regrets?
Old 10-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Oh no regrets, well maybe the fact I should have bought the 25" instead . Great tires and have worn very well over almost 2 years. I drive 6 to 12 miles a day everyday. Oh and the 25's are 10 ply .

Old 10-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I don't think I've ever seen a tire like that say "Max Pressure 5 psi". Usually these kinds of tires are like 20-25 psi max.

Usually the max psi is used only for seating the bead when doing the initial inflation after mounting the tires. Typically max psi is two to three times the normal psi run in the tires. For example, a typical passenger tire is run at 32 psi, max pressure would probably be 60 psi or so.

Any pics of the sidewall?

I couldn't find "Sahara King" only "Sahara Classic"

here's what I found
https://www.exceltireandwheel.com/sahara-classic.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Blake Cremeans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a tire like that say "Max Pressure 5 psi". Usually these kinds of tires are like 20-25 psi max.

Usually the max psi is used only for seating the bead when doing the initial inflation after mounting the tires. Typically max psi is two to three times the normal psi run in the tires. For example, a typical passenger tire is run at 32 psi, max pressure would probably be 60 psi or so.

Any pics of the sidewall?

I couldn't find "Sahara King" only "Sahara Classic"

here's what I found
https://www.exceltireandwheel.com/sahara-classic.html

I've never seen any like this either, which is part of why I wasn't sure about the PSI. Most tires I've seen are more clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211101_174648.jpg (283.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211101_174654.jpg (331.9 KB, 0 views)

Tags
rolled bead, sahara king, tire pressure
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha