lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Stuck Rear wheel hub help. (Not Frozen)

Hello Gang. working on a 2003 series txt cart and currently rebuilding it into a 48v. i am trying to get the driver side rear hub off to change the brakes but it will not come off. the brakes are disconnected from the hub and castle nut is off. the wheel spins and is not frozen. the other side comes off fine and i noticed that this stuck hub is clearly not the stock hub and does not match the passenger side. I tried ratchet straps and i tried bolting a hub puller on it and still cant get it off. i banged on it and banged on it but no luck. any ideas on what i can do? or why its not coming off. there is a slight give when pulling so i don't think its seized on the splines but i don't know.

I've debated while enraged to cut it off or yank it with my truck but i believe I'd have to anchor the cart and could possible bend the frame.

to make it worse. the hub puller messed up the threads on the axle so the castle nut doesn't want to go back on.
OhDannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Stuck Rear wheel hub help. (Not Frozen)

What kind of hub puller are you using? is it the kind that screws the lugs over the studs and screws into the center of the axle nut? I always use a torch and a slide hammer to get tough ones off...there has been one time in the last 20 years where I had to cut the hub all the way around to get it off but that's rare from my experience..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

yes. puller goes over 2 lug threads and then places lug nuts back on. the center screws down on the axle thread. i tried a torch but im not sure exactly what to be heating up. mainly just the axle thread bc i thought it might be stuck and not due to brake pads. i did think about buying a slide hammer. the puller came with an extra nut to use with slide hammer. could you give me some more details?
Old 10-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would be tempted to cut it off, rather than risk damaging the inside of the axle with the snap ring. The slight give you notice might be the bearing/snap ring tightening up as you exert pull on it.

I'm thinking about how I'd do it. Probably just take a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel and plunge cut at a point on top of the axle shaft. Probably have to do this on both sides of the drum.

You already know the axle shaft bad, and the drum/hub bad/nonstock, and brakes don't work...I'd say avoiding potential damage to the axle housing is the prudent way of going.

On the reinstall, be sure to use anti-seize on the shaft splines and hub/drum, and tighten the castle nut big time. I usually go higher than the stated torque. Use a really heavy washer between the castle nut and drum.
once_for_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

I had a similar issue with one a few years ago. I eventually discovered what had happened - I had waited too long to change the brake pads and they wore a groove into the inside of the drum and the pads went into the groove and would not release. I tried pullers and some of the same things that you have and there was no way to get it off.

I finally took a side grinder and cut the drum into 2 pieces, and only then did it fall off. I would have gotten the job done much faster if I had just done that from the start. Good luck with it; that was one of the most frustrating mechanic jobs I've ever tried.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If applying heat, you want to heat the drum hub, not axle since hub is what your trying to expand with heat.
If you are ‘sure’ brake shoes are unadjusted enough to not be holding shoes in possible groove in drum.
“ turn brake adjuster all the way in so no tension between shoes and drum.
The only thing holding drum on axle can be splines on axle/ drum, heat, not from propane torch but oxycetilene torch Herat drum hub till red should free it up enough to remove.

Your going to need to replace axle already due to thread damage along with drum so worse case cut hub with angle grinder but believe heat and puller will remove drum.

I have had to use puller to where it could not tighten any more.soak with bp blaster. Come back next day, bang on drum,soak,next day hammer again.
Sooner or late it will just “pop” free
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Alright y’all… sorry for the delay but I’ve finally tried everything I could think of.

1. Tried hub puller
2. Tried slide hammer with hub puller
3. Tried heat
4 grinded off lip of face of hub so I know that it’s not touching the brake pad at all.

It still will not come off. I’m assuming it is seized on the spines. It still spinns freely just can’t remove off the spline. Any more ideas? Please. I could try to cut off the spline but I’m scared to mess up the axle rod. I sick of spending money on this project. Worst than the last one and was supposed to be easy.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
FatBusting
Not Yet Wild

I spent an hour yesterday getting the drum off an ezgo!!!

I took a flat blade screwdriver and pried at the top if the drum against the backing plate and banged the drum with a hammer. Rotated 180 degrees and banged with the hammer. BANG BANG BANG turn BANG BANG BANG... Ever so slowly I built a gap. Once it was large enough I used a small wrench, a bigger wrench, BANG BANG BANG... The drum was still sticking even after the cotter pin hole was covered by the drum BANG BANG BANG, BANG BANG BANG, till it finally slid off. 1/1000'th of an inch by 1/1000'th of an inch. I'm serious, for an hour I was banging on that drum.

Banging the drum with a hammer sends shock waves though the spline. If you have a puller, tighten it up hard and start banging. Tighten some more and bang some more. Once you see the slightest movement, you might still have an hour to go, but you can see it is working. BANG BANG BANG!!!
FatBusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
OhDannyBoy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Over the last 3 weeks I’ve spent approximately 6 hours banging on it with various items. I cut the snore lip of drum off so nothing is touching brake pads. puller and hammer do nothing. Used it in conjunction with heat from torch and still nothing. I’m about to just cut the whole thing off. Already bought a new axle rod even though I didn’t want too
Old 11-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
FatBusting
Not Yet Wild

One other thing you can try is to back off the axle nuts a few turns and put the pin back though it, put on the wheel back on and take the cart for a drive and see of you can't use the wheel to displace the drum. I would drive hard figure 8's. It it moves, it can only move a little bit, because the nut is there to stop it. You could eve try loosening the lug nuts a few turns. so when the cart turns, the loose wheel will bang the drum even harder. I grew up in ohio, where it was common for a wheel to get rusted on the hub, that no amount of banging would free the wheel, but with the lug nuts loose, the wheel would break free from the motion of the loose wheel.

Another thing to try is freezing the area. you can try dry ice or they make a freeze-off spray that combines cold and penetrating oil. With the dry ice, improvise a container, like a tupperware duct taped to the drum with a hole in the top of it that you can drop the dry ice into. I'd try to just chill the axle by cutting a plastic ring to shield the drum, like the lid for the tupperware. Give it 20 minutes or several hours and try prying again. Dry ice is -109f. If you can chill the axle, it will shrink. Dry ice is commonly used to freeze bearings to fit, then expand as they warm.
FatBusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO