lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile EZ-GO TXT - Voltage Drop after 20 min driving

Hi,

I bought a used EZ-GO TXT 36v electric cart two years back and they sold it to me 'without any issues' Though, we've had issues with it since day one and the local cart shop can't figure it out.

On a full charge, it will drive for ~15-20 minutes then dead (from 37v to 30v on a load). Solenoid will be really hot, way too hot to touch. Then if you let it sit for 20-40 minutes, it can go again many 10-15 minutes then again and go a little less till it's dead.

We had all new batteries put in last year 6 6 volt batteries for a total of 36v. That helped a little but not much.

Brought back to the cart shop and they checked each battery under load and replaced one that was weak.

Then cart shop sold us a new 36v charger - didn't really help.

Then we just installed all 13 new 2g cables last week. Helped a little with the cable heat to the motor but not much with this issue. Before that, the f/r switch would get hot now it's cool.

Solenoid is missing a diode and resistor since we bought it (I have them ordered - HD ones - and they're on the way now).

Controller will be cool, F/R switch is cool, micro switch and other components under feet for accelerator are cool, motor is just slightly warm but solenoid is fire hot when under a load for 10-15 minutes.

Make: EZ-GO
Model: TXT 2006 Electric
Upgrades: Lift, large off-road tires, back seat
Controller: Stock Curtis PMC 25864G09
Batteries: Trojan T-105 6 volt T2 (new in 2019) - 6 of them
Motor: Stock A02-4012 36v AU2500 FLT SPD (2006)
Solenoid: Stock Unipoint SNLS-36A 1212 36V - when not under load is 1 ohm
Diode & Resistor: Missing when purchased but new HD ones ordered
Cables: Brand new 2g cables (all 13 replaced)
F/R Switch: Stock (I have a new HD one on hand but want to return if not needed)
Accelerator micro switch and sensor: Stock/original

Question: Would it be helpful to get a 400 amp continuous 1,000 amp max HD/ultra solenoid to fix this issue? Where can I buy one that works with both 36v & 48v incase I upgrade later? I understand that the stock solenoid is just 50/60 am constant so that might be causing a lot of resistance and heat considering the constant use and upgrades.

Question: Would added an HD diode and resistor that I have ordered help with this issue since they’re currently missing?

Question: Would I need to upgrade the F/R switch with a HD one if it doesn’t get hot anymore and works?

Question: Given current setup with stock motor/controller, this cart should still last more than 15-20 minutes of constant use, correct?

I’d rather not have to replace/upgrade the motor/controller at this time.

Thanks,

Steven
steven2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZ-GO TXT - Voltage Drop after 20 min driving

That solenoid isnt stock, and its lower rated than stock. Get a better solenoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Is there a certain store or brand to buy that’s better than others? I was looking on eBay but open to anywhere else.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Here’s an idea http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, I just got a 400/1,000 from carts unlimited and will give that a try with the hd resistor and diode.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Apologies, last question for now. Should I install the heavy duty F/R switch that I have on-hand for my current setup or am I fine without it? I might upgrade my motor and/or controller in the future but not anytime soon. I know I would need it then but do I need it now?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Hey Steven - Did you ever resolve your rapid discharge issue? Did replacing the solenoid help?
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
coryj110
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Also interested in knowing the results. Mine is doing the same thing - 36V TXT DCS solenoid gets extremely hot after just 10 minutes. It is the White Rodgers brand, and seems to activate just fine. Thought it may be putting the controller in thermal shutdown, because it was getting so hot in that area. But the controller doesn't seem too hot, just the solenoid.

Can drive 10-15 minutes, let the cart sit and get another 10 minutes or so. Let the cart sit again and it comes back although each time less and less.
coryj110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryj110 View Post
Also interested in knowing the results. Mine is doing the same thing - 36V TXT DCS solenoid gets extremely hot after just 10 minutes. It is the White Rodgers brand, and seems to activate just fine. Thought it may be putting the controller in thermal shutdown, because it was getting so hot in that area. But the controller doesn't seem too hot, just the solenoid.

Can drive 10-15 minutes, let the cart sit and get another 10 minutes or so. Let the cart sit again and it comes back although each time less and less.
This sounds like a controller issue, but not because of the solenoid. Solenoid being "warm in the area" doesnt get to the controller temp sensor (a sensor mounted on the bus bar in the controller that all the amps passes through).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
coryj110
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So I did end up figuring out the root cause. Went over the cart in detail, all the voltages checked out. Ended up making my way back to the motor where I found 1 stud very loose. Tightened it up and immediately noticed a difference after a full charge, the motor even sounded differently - more power/torque and it goes a lot longer. The solenoid is no longer extremely hot. It's warm for sure, but I can hold my hand on it now.
coryj110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, ez-go txt, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO