lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
GMan96G8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 96 G8 guessing bad controller, way to test it?

Hello, I searched but did not find what I was looking for. It took me a while to find the search tool

Trying to get an old 1996 G8 up and going so I may be back here a few times haha.
The motor was bad so parts were robbed to fix other carts, mainly the switches, aftermarket lights, stereo, etc. I have the wiring diagram and that has been very helpful. I replaced the keyswitch, F/N/R (with one for an EZGO), but it worked for a bit. The batteries show 39 volts, and I have already replaced the motor.

After replacing motor, and switches the cart ran REVERSE, so I swapped the two main wires from the FNR switch, and I was able to drive it for about 15 minutes before melting a battery terminal (loose/corroded connection). I pushed it home and had welded the solenoid. I fixed the battery terminal and replaced the solenoid and now I get nothing, thinking I may have also fried the controller.

On the new solenoid I get battery voltage on one large post, and ~6 volts on the other, (no resistor unless its internal) on the small posts I get no voltage. These are regardless of keyswitch and pedal position.

It looks to be the original controller, is there a way to test it?

Thank You,
Gman
GMan96G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
biphase
Gone Wild

Default Re: 96 G8 guessing bad controller, way to test it?

The controller does not control the solenoid. You need to trace the wiring to the small terminals on the solenoid to find out why it is not clicking when you step on the pedal. You could try bypassing the solenoid temporarily to confirm that the controller still works. Lift the rear wheels off the ground and use a heavy-duty jumper to connect the large terminals on the solenoid. Step on the throttle and see if it runs. If it does and you can control the speed then the controller is good. If it does not run that still does not prove that the controller is bad. There may be a switch or wiring fault that is causing both the solenoid and the controller not to work,
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
GMan96G8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update: yesterday I removed every wire from the controller and pulled it out, opened it up and everything looked good inside, surprisingly good actually. After I got it out and opened it up I was tracing the other wires and found a fuse that some how was shoved behind the controller. Yup blown fuse. Changed the fuse and reinstalled the controller and the car now runs in forward but will not run in reverse. It acts like there’s not enough power. I can manually turn the wheels backwards and there is some resistance but not terrible.

Could the different FNR switch be wired wrong?

Also the car died very quick ~ .5 miles, I pushed it a bit before getting home and then tried again and it ran for another .25 miles or so before no power again. I’m trying to add a volt meter but can’t get it to work yet, is this just low batteries? Or is it getting hot and shutting down?
Old 10-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sure sounds like bad batteries but who can tell without voltage readings under load.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
GMan96G8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, got the voltmeter working today and took it for another drive. Same thing went about .5 mile then died, I let it sit a bit and then it got me home. Watching the voltmeter it started off around 39 volts dropped to ~36 while cruising, if I floored it the volts would drop to 32-34 but if I slowed down they would go back up to 36. Cruising speed the voltage dropped to maybe 34 and then no power. Voltmeter still reading ~34. I let it sit about 5 minutes, no change in volt reading but it came back to life cruising speed home and it died right in front of my house. Voltmeter still reading 34.

Are my batteries shot? Can I revive them?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
nikoboum
Not Yet Wild

i can help you if you help me with my g8 (google translate) what ressistance is connected witch irfz44 transistor in the controller .
nikoboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
nikoboum
Not Yet Wild

install a fuse on the battery terminal to save[ATTACH]2251020211031_133129.jpg9[/ATTACH]
nikoboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
GMan96G8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoboum View Post
i can help you if you help me with my g8 (google translate) what ressistance is connected witch irfz44 transistor in the controller .
What? I put my controller back into my cart.

Tags
g8 controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha