lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2021, 12:36 AM   #1
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default fighting electrical meltdown 91 Yamaha G8A

Current status - rewired, key on , gas gauge works, backup buzzer working, . TOUCH gas pedal - aka Start / stop switch and immediately blows 10amp fuse.

Previously ( 3 weeks ago ) melt down of Ground wires, 1) ground wire to pick up 'coil', 2) ground wire from Starter ground terminal to "relay" to frame ground, 3) All White ground wires in the eparate wiring harness that handled turn signals.

All melted wiring replaced, new starter/ gen installed, and new Voltage regulator installed.
Wiring Schematic shows wire from S/Stop switch goes to the Ignitor , which runs a brown (hot) wire to starter relay.

Plan is to Throw a new relay into the mix. Parts is parts,

BUT , dies the ignitor go bad? What happens when it does? How would i check the Ignitor box, or just throw some money at that and get a new one, too? Week 4 on this "project".
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Now - Blowing the 10 amp fuse 91 G8A

So - thanks for all your help so far - Status : wiring all checked and hooked up. battery POS to Relay, NO Wire off the Other Relay Post to the Starter.
key on - gas gauge registers, buck up buzzer works, blah blah.

Touch the gas pedal to engage the start / stop switch ( which has checked as Not shorted, or there would have been a problem right off the bat.. ) So start switch triggered and immediately blows the 10 amp fuse. ?

the "coil" in the solenoid registers 20 ohms .

circuit => power to key, key to start/stop - W/R wire to Ignitor, to VR (NEW) to the + post on the relay. fuse Pops on engaging start/stop switch.

Any clues would be appreciated - solenoid/relay bad internally? How's it shorting out?
Old 11-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: fighting electrical meltdown 91 Yamaha G8A

Tried the Solenoid / relay Without either Positive cable attached to the Terminals - No Battery, No Starter wires. Just the ground and "tirgger' wire, Key on, gas gauge shows powered, tap the start/stop switch and immediately blows the fuse .

Start/stop switch is good, Voltage regulator is new, that leaves the Ignitor, the relay , or a "cross up" on the rewiring, which I replaced One at a Time to keep them straight. Ideas? INput? Bueller?
Old 11-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Step 1 is to determine why all the wires melted to begin with. These carts are notorious for bad grounds, particularly the engine ground going bad and killing coils, voltage regulators, and ignitors.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:10 PM   #5
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The only other thing tied into the circuit is the Ignition Coil? tomorrow I'll take that out of the loop, and try again. I Appreciate all the replies.

Oh I see I have another "Bad Ground " suggestion. I've Added 2.

BUT CP241 determining the WHY s like HOw? replacing parts? - VR is new;, Bench test for the others? Coil? Ignitor? or just buy new and hope they don't get fried if it's not them.. ? Local dealer doesn't take Electrical Parts back if they were then problem. I have a $90 Start Stop switch on the shelf, that was sold to me in an opened package? Used? Anyway - they're a last resort for 'parts' or help..

So could coil have gone south. ?? Hope it's not the ignitor; or hope someone has a link to a "Less Expensive" replacement..
Old 11-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I recently had the same scenario. After testing every other electrical component on the cart, it turned out to be the starter generator.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #7
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Start/Stop Switch is "relatively new " , Starter / Gen is NEW. Voltage Regulator is NEW. Wiring harness, primarily for Accessories, is redone.

meimk : Did you have a massive meltdown in Ground wires?
Old 11-11-2021, 01:58 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I would be locating the source of the short circuit with a meter. Take your time and track it down before damaging anything else by trying to keep starting it and blowing fuses.

Disconnect the battery. Use the meter and trace continuity to ground on circuits that should otherwise be “hot”. If it’s blowing a 10 amp fuse immediately it can’t be that hard to trace down. That’s a dead short to ground…

Sorry for being “specifically vague” but without a machine in front of me it’s hard to say exactly which circuits to test and where. But in most Yamahas anything red or red/white is power. And one of those wires is dead shorted to ground. Find out which one and start unplugging components one at a time until the short goes away.

A guess off the top of my head is voltage regulator or ignitor. But it could be anything really. Or a wire pinched somewhere. I know you said the VR is new but if you got an aftermarket one, I still wouldn’t rule it out. I’ve seen more than one aftermarket VR popping fuses instantly…

And yes, I’d still be looking for the root cause of the meltdown to begin with. A ground somewhere had high resistance to ground to melt a bunch of ground wires, make sure you can find that and repair it so it doesn’t happen again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTTwister View Post
Start/Stop Switch is "relatively new " , Starter / Gen is NEW. Voltage Regulator is NEW. Wiring harness, primarily for Accessories, is redone.

meimk : Did you have a massive meltdown in Ground wires?

It did have some melted ground wires, but the owner had gone as far as a 30 Amp fuse (which still blew) before he brought it to me. A strange symptom that lead me to the starter generator was that the cart would start and run with the fuse out, but would not charge. I was getting a back feed of about 1/2 battery voltage at the ground terminal of the starter.

Last edited by meimk; 11-11-2021 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

One more fuse test before I tear open the wiring harness....

The Ignitor and Voltage regulator removed from the circuit. Nothing attached. ( OH red green to the generator, but another followup test, took them out, ) the fuse didn't blow and the relay clicked ( oh, it was left in..) Plugged in the VR ( Aftermarket, new ) and the fuse popped. ( I've been using 5 amp fuses for the testing, need to restock.)

Seems I should be looking in around the V/R harness. nothing tested 'shorted', but I guess I'll strip it and see what I can find. Glad is up in there and really easy to get to .. Thoughts, while I have some more coffee this am.

Edit - Any way to Bench Test a V/R for internal problems? Do they short to the housing?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha