lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
swarrick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default battery's are dead

I just picked up a 36 volt cart the batteries are dead do i need to charge them individually before i hook them together? The reason I ask is I was reading if the batteries were dead that the charger might not turn on because it wont pick up a low charge, I'm new to all of this please forgive me if this sounds foolish.
swarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: battery's are dead

to BGW

The only foolish questions are the ones not asked.

I would go ahead and connect them all together and see if the charger kicks on. If it doesn't, hook a 12v charger to two of the batteries in series. You'll do this a total of three times to get all the batteries.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
swarrick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, the batteries are low on liquid do I need to add a little water to about half way then top off after there charged?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Add distilled water 1/4" above the plates. I wouldnt charge with the plates exposed, others may disagree. They say to add water after charging but i dont think that means charge with them exposed on purpose.
Welcome to bgw.
And happy carting.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Put in enough water so the plates are just covered, and no more. The levels rise while charging...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
swarrick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank y'all for the information .
Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
Add distilled water 1/4" above the plates. I wouldnt charge with the plates exposed, others may disagree. They say to add water after charging but i dont think that means charge with them exposed on purpose.
Welcome to bgw.
And happy carting.
The rule of thumb is to only add water to the batteries when they are fully charged, except when the plates are exposed, then add enough water to cover plates before charging and bring up to the proper level after charging.

The reason for this is that the electrolyte volume expands as the battery charges and if too much water is added to a partially discharged battery, it might be overflowing when it is charged.

In addition to getting sulfuric acid on things, the net result is weakening of the cells due to loss of the sulfate ions in the spilled acid.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO