lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 TXT PDS New Battery Install Fail

Hey guys, new to the forum and golf carts in general.

I just replaced the battery tray and installed 6 new Exide batteries in my 2007 TXT PDS cart. I'm 99.9% positive I installed and wired them correctly, according to the before and after pictures I took. Immediately put them on the charger yesterday after installation and expected a 8-12 hour charge period, but my charger keeps shutting off after about an hour or so and when I switch from Tow to Run and engage the gas pedal..... Nothing, Nada, Zip!

What should be the next step in progressively tracking down the issue? Should I hear a clicking from the solenoid (because, I don't)?

This cart has sat stored for almost 2 years, without good batteries, FYI.

Thanks,
Justin
jcpatte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 TXT PDS New Battery Install Fail

Hi JC, there are a lot of things that could be wrong, it's just a matter of eliminating them all until you find the problem. Understand the problem could be related to the install or the two years it sat unattended.

You'll need a voltmeter. Post your readings here.
Check the battery pack voltage at the main positive and negative.
Check the voltage inside the carts charge receptacle, so we know what voltage the charger is seeing when it's plugged in.

Print this diagram below. And test for 36 V positive at each end point of every red line when the gas pedal is partially depressed. Let us know what you find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Could you have forgotten the smaller wire for the activation when you installed the batteries?
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Could you have forgotten the smaller wire for the activation when you installed the batteries?
I hooked it up the exact way it came off, so I don't think so.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Check the battery pack voltage at the main positive and negative.
Check the voltage inside the carts charge receptacle, so we know what voltage the charger is seeing when it's plugged in.
main positive and negative, as well as the charging receptacle both read 38 and each battery reads 6-7.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Fixed..... for now.

I have no earthly idea what I did to fix it except I took off the cables on the larger solenoid leads to test the solenoid and when I put them back on it worked!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
wildbil645
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It could have been a bad connection and when you reinstalled cables you "fixed" it. I have had this happen to me before
wildbil645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Now my issue isn't so much that it isn't running, because it is..... but a lack of power. I've gone through 2 charge cycles. First time I made 5 holes and headed for home before re-charging. 2nd time I made 8 holes but it wasn't any more powerful. When I say weak ride, I mean weak ride. I'm gonna check a couple things but I'm hoping I don't have a "bad" battery.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatte2 View Post
Now my issue isn't so much that it isn't running, because it is..... but a lack of power. I've gone through 2 charge cycles. First time I made 5 holes and headed for home before re-charging. 2nd time I made 8 holes but it wasn't any more powerful. When I say weak ride, I mean weak ride. I'm gonna check a couple things but I'm hoping I don't have a "bad" battery.
What grade Exide batteries did you get?
Their 6V GC batteries come in Economy (186AH), Standard (226AH) and Premium (245AH) grades.

It takes at least a dozen, sometimes over two dozen, charge/discharge cycles for new batteries to reach their rated storage capacity.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
jcpatte2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What grade Exide batteries did you get?
Their 6V GC batteries come in Economy (186AH), Standard (226AH) and Premium (245AH) grades.

It takes at least a dozen, sometimes over two dozen, charge/discharge cycles for new batteries to reach their rated storage capacity.
Thanks JohnnieB, they're just the Economy 186AH. And it appears to be charging fine and registering correct voltage.

I just ran a diagnostic and got the 3-2 beeps for welded solenoid. Honestly, when I was testing the solenoid yesterday it must have released and at least is allowing the cart to run, but poorly. I didn't hear a click and was surprised when it started moving when I hit the accelerator. I just ordered a new Solenoid and will have it in 2 days. Hopefully, that solves the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO