lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Smile First ECC & have some brake and drive ?'s

Hey all

This is my first golf car and had a few questions before I take it in for service. It's a 2006 Electric Club Car that was redone by the dealer with new batteries, lift kit, 10" wheels, 22" tires, rear seat, new body, turn signal/tail & headlights, etc.

First, when I first got it the brakes would lock up with just a light touch to the brake pedal. While in the garage I kept applying the brake pedal over and over thinking they might have adjusters on them and need to be brought up closer to the brake drum. That did seem to work but now I have a pulsation in the brakes when applied, sort of like calipers out of round on a car with the brakes applied. Is this normal or just need more time to set in or should I make them redo the brakes?

Second, when I added side running boards the right front tire would rub on the front weld but the left tire had a ½ of clearance and didn't touch the weld. Both running boards used the factory hole in the frame where the battery compartment clamp is attached and matched up on the factory ladder frame exactly the same on both sides. After looking more closely I found that the lift kit was not quite center on the frame, (slightly twisted more to the right then center.) The unit does seem to track straight though but the steering wheel is a bit off. Should I make a stink about this or let it go?

Lastly, I know that I have 12 volts at the light switch. Is this from a factory converter reducing the 48 volts to 12 and can I use this for a cigar lighter outlet for low wattage use?

The Club Car seems OK for the most part but I have nothing to compare it to, noise, vibration, etc., since this is my first one. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: First ECC & have some brake and drive ?'s

well since they did the work and it sounds like its not right and your already questioning it yes i would have them look at it point out what you think and have them go over it.................as for the switch there are so many different ones i,ll let someone else answer it.............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
JRay
**** guzzler
Club Car

Your brakes locking up are probably from the u bolts not being tight on the rear axle. Tighten them up and see if the braking improves. See this a lot on lifted carts. Once everything settles in they have to be retorqued.
JRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
First, when I first got it the brakes would lock up with just a light touch to the brake pedal. While in the garage I kept applying the brake pedal over and over thinking they might have adjusters on them and need to be brought up closer to the brake drum. That did seem to work but now I have a pulsation in the brakes when applied, sort of like calipers out of round on a car with the brakes applied. Is this normal or just need more time to set in or should I make them redo the brakes?
Just going through some old threads and wanted to update one item that I spoke about back in 2008...

The fix for the above was to get a right side/passenger side brake cable and install it on the driver side/left side. Since the cart was lifted with just a bit of twist from the differential while braking, the issues were caused by the stock brake cable being just a bit too short. TahoedawgZ71 suggested I try this fix several months ago and it worked I wanted to post this just incase someone else out there had the same issue... better late then never
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm glad we finally got that settled. I guess we can all go home now

sorry
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

I'm sorry also that it took 2 1/2 years for a proper suggestion to fix it. I did have the CC dealer look at the cart back then and they felt it just needed a brake adjustment. No locking brakes when raised... no resistance when pushing forward or back... no loose differential brackets... no misaligned brake shoes... no out of round or warped drums... and no suggestions that worked other then what I mentioned by Tahoedawg. It was just a brake cable that was a wee bit short causing the problem.

And since this site is for helping others... I guess it can't hurt to post a fix
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

scuba,
I have that same problem, but only when the cart has been sitting for awhile, or just been washed. Once it gets warmed up, there is no problem. Also, I don't think mine was as bad as yours. Interesting..Not a big enough problem to worry about yet, though.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
scuba,
I have that same problem, but only when the cart has been sitting for awhile, or just been washed. Once it gets warmed up, there is no problem. Also, I don't think mine was as bad as yours. Interesting..Not a big enough problem to worry about yet, though.
Actually mine was very similar. After sitting for a while I needed to back it up or drive it fast and then pump the brakes. After a couple of times it was much better. In the morning when I hit the brakes the left rear would want to lock up a bit. I had to worry if my wife was taking her mother for a ride on the cart... but now that I think of it... Never mine

Anyway the cable was the problem, (too short,) and a very inexpensive fix overall.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

I'm glad you posted this, as my solution was the same as yours (getting the brakes warmed up). Maybe I'll get a passenger side cable and put it on the drivers side! Funny, I had no problem with it, but the wife complained.

I love this website
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car