lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo 295 burnt valves?

Well I picked up a non/barily running ezgo this weekend with the 295 robin engine. After cranking for like five minutes straight it would start to run, five minutes after that it would move under its own power... So into the garage it went. Inspection revealed heavy cobbling to say the least. The airbox is missing and the carb resembled a black greasy tennis ball. So I pulled it, disassembled, cleaned, and reinstall. No change. I then adjusted valves to .004. Now it fires up instantly but only isles. Seems to be lacking fuel. So I then cleaned fuel pump. No change. Recleaned carb (discovered the 3 little holes behind throttle plate.) No change. Feathering throttle will eventually get it to rev, but still heavily bogs and is undrivable. So after repeating all this like 3 more times I decided to pull the muffler. Now I got fire shooting out of the manifold. Hmmm... Checked timing belt looks ok and in time. Could these valves be burnt from being out of adjustment for so long? They were around 3 full turns out at the very least. I can't find my compression gauge I'll borrow one tomorrow I know someone is going to ask lol.
shadowkeeper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo 295 burnt valves?

sometimes those valves will beat themselves into the head and you might need a new head or valve seats , also when cleaning the carb you must have gaskets to the intake and make sure you get an airbox , that carb will not draw without some airbox or air filter to restrict the amount of air coming in , maybe try a piece of ductape over about 75-80% of the carb opening and i bet it runs correctly then
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok so compression is in the 160 area both cylinders. Made a makeshift air filter setup. Not much change. I don't really want to tear it down if I don't have to, good compression kinda rules out bad valves. Still seems like it's running lean. Fuel pump is pumping. Anybody know far it should squirt out of the line?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nice spurts should be ok , did you try blocking off the carb some ?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes I did and also tried choking it some. It somewhat worked but just not like it should be. So I pulled the engine and pulled the head. The exhaust valve are pounded to death to put it lightly. They're actually recessed in the head lol. So I guess I'm gonna order up some valves and maybe seats and have the head redone. I did notice the pistons move slightly side to side in their bores. Is this normal for this engine? I'm thinking not but never tore one down before.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

AS LONG AS THE ENGINE DID NO SMOKE i THINK YOUR side to side movement is normal, their should not be much of it but their will be some , yes the typical beaten exhaust valves
Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I did find that the timing belt tension pulley is rusted and pitted pretty bad, but can't seem to find one anywhere. Even the Ezgo site doesn't show one. Ever come across this?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well here's the update. Got the head back for my machine shop guy. Had him touch up the valve seats and exhaust valves. I put in New intake valves and 4 valve seals. Put it all back together and... Same problem... Seems to be starving for fuel still. I heard someone say could be 180 out of time? It doesn't look like it would matter being both cylinders fire every stroke (waste discharge)? Getting frustrated please help!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf (Engine rebuild manual)

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/605586.pdf (Service and troubleshooting guide)

Look thru both those manuals. How is the spark on the plugs? The fuel line when disconnected from the carb should spurt fuel out pretty solid when you hit the pedal. That verifies fuel to carb. Next look at the carb fuel bowl. When you cleaned it, did you actually take a piece of wire and run it through the main jet? Is the float set too low? The guides will get you back to specs.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
shadowkeeper49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So the new carb show up in the mailbox today along with a fuel pump. Seems to bee 1000% better! Can't drive it now due to pulling the body off to get painted. She was pretty rough. And now that it runs my wife says that's her cart now and I can do whatever I want to the old g1 and that'll be my cart... Hmmm got that 750 liquid cooled Polaris laying around lol. I may be starting a build thread on these two carts soon. Gonna be a long winter. Thanks for all the help guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO