lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stuck Fill Plug in 1986 E-Z-Go Differential

Trying to get the plug out of this differential. It is the E-Z-Go differential 1986 model. This differential does not have a pan and is built like a split case. Not even sure how you would drain it. It has a vent plug up top and a lower plug to check the level. The plug takes a 5/16" allen and is seized in the case. I have been soaking it with some PB Blaster for a day. The allen wrench is gonna twist if I get after it much more. I don't see any evidence of seepage but the cart is 29 years old and I don't want to run it without looking in there.

There is about 1/8" of the plug protruding. I might be able to jar it with a cold chisel to get it started. The other option would be to weld the allen wrench in the plug and weld a nut on the allen wrench.

Any suggestions?
duurmeehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stuck Fill Plug in 1986 E-Z-Go Differential

as old as your cart is and you know that the Diff is aluminum.....its possible that the plug and the case have become "ONE WITH EACH OTHER" can you verify that the plug is steel? that would be a plus anyway.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, the plug is steel and the case is aluminum.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well with that.....I believe your next steps are the ones you suggested in our OP.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Try applying some heat. Alluminum grows more than steel. A heat gun, PB blaster, a whack with a hammer, elbow grease, and a six pack should do it......
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This would be a good place to use one of those hand impact tools to shock that plug i'm thinking.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
duurmeehr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, other than having to drag out the wire welder and sacrifice a 5/16" Craftsman bit that was fairly uneventful.

I suspect the combination of the heat from welding and being able to get some torque on it both helped.

The bad thing is that the oil looked like the day it was put in. I could have run it just like that but if I had not checked it probably would have been a problem.

Now I have to get a suction gun to get the oil out since there is no drain plug on this rear end unless I am missing something.

I was trying to figure where to get a drain plug but come to think of it I don't see any reason I can't reuse this one. It has a good socket head to remove it with and check the level!

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drain Plug.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by duurmeehr View Post

I was trying to figure where to get a drain plug but come to think of it I don't see any reason I can't reuse this one. It has a good socket head to remove it with and check the level!

Thanks all for the suggestions!
well check to see if the threads are just regular pipe threads, I bet they are, in which case....any hardware store can fix you up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO