lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Denval
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV only creaps very slow in gear

Ezgo RXV with 3 phase motor. Unable to drive will only creap very slowly in gear. Have tested charged batteries ( only 2 years old ) have checked and cleaned all terminals. Batteries will only charge to about 80% ( all cells 1250 )total 50 volts will drop to 48 volts whilst tring to drive. Brakes are releasing have tried to drive on axle stands still the same speed. I suspect a speed sensor but cannot find one fitted. On start up the solenoids click and the controller buzzes as it self checks. Have checked both brake and throttle are fully releasing. Would like some advice to further test for fault
Denval is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV only creaps very slow in gear

Check the ohms on the motor temp sensor. (2 small wires that come from the same cover as the 3 large cables on the motor). I think the range should be 400-1300 ohms. Out of range can cause what you are describing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Denval
Not Yet Wild

Checked temp sensor resistance 575ohms within range
Found a good diagnostic link from an old thread from " ez-rider "
It could be the motor encoder, will check for a 5 volt supply . Also a 0 volt signal whilst rotating wheels. Any further tests involve "can " signals, unsure how to test these
Old 12-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Oscilloscope is one way. I bought a "Diy oscilloscope kit" for $18 (it works, lots of soldering, really fun to build). It came from a "china stuff website" called banggood. It is only a little larger than a cellphone, not a huge beast like a traditional 'scope and can be run from a 9v battery.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Heres the lil scope. It could give more "real data" than the oem scan tool does. Its not the cleanest or super-high resolution tho. But its cheap, and will do the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151202_154431_123.jpg (266.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Denval
Not Yet Wild

I have a 5 volt supply to encoder probing red and black wires
Probing red and white wires I have 35mvolts stationary , when rotating wheels ( cart jacked up ) have 2.6 volts . Should be close to zero , is this reason to replace motor ( encoder inside motor housing )? Can rock wheels to obtain 4.8 volt ,this tests is good.
Tried same test whilst wheels driven by motor still 2.6 volts. Unsure if this is causing my very slow crawl ?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

The signal cannot be very accurately detected by a DVM (should be 64 on/off pulses per motor revolution, how are you able to detect that with a DVM, also is it a "clean signal"?). The encoder can be replaced by taking the motor apart (not difficult). Some newer motors have the encoder on the outside of the motor (sounds like yours is not one of those). The 2.6v reading is simply an average of hundreds or thousands of 0-to-5v pulses happening far too quickly for the DVM to read
Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
Denval
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I should have said. The test advised to test any of two wires for a zero voltage. One wire must be a Can signal ( this gave an unsteady voltage unable to read ) The other wire gave a good voltage reading ( guessing not a Can wire )The encoder wires disappear into the motor housing not even sure what an encoder would look like
Old 12-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

White & black wires gave me this. Gets faster (narrower) as speed increases. This cart had a problem in the plug itself, wiggle the plug, and the signal would go away (causing violent jerking of the motor). The "ghosts" were from my phone camera, not cart system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151204_145042_573.jpg (215.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
skeeter66
Not Yet Wild

Denval, I am new to the cart world know nothing compared to the pros on this site, but I had a similar problem with my TXT, as far as no speed/power. I instantly thought I was in for a big $$$ repair. What I found was that the brake pads had separated from the brackets inside the drum and had locked up the drivers side wheel. Once I pulled the drum it became evident and a brake job was in order. Now... good as new. Not sure if this helps but just a suggestion.
skeeter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO