lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Does a display for Series Motor Temp exist?

What are you willing to spend?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-te...tools/=12cl9r6

Start with the RTD and then pick your display...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A good option may be a digital thermometer based on the DS18B20 1-wire interface thermometer sensor.

The actual Maxim chip sensor is in the probe and it just sends the data to the display.

While the range is not as great as a Type-K thermocouple, it is very accurate and inexpensive.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Temperature-Refrigerator/dp/B019GUPMWU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462886430&sr=8-4&keywords=DROK+Thermometer+fahrenheit http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Temperature-Refrigerator/dp/B019GUPMWU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462886430&sr=8-4&keywords=DROK+Thermometer+fahrenheit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNBU8DW/ref=s9_simh_gw_g328_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=11YZCCBE1QXGG1XSMXJV&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNBU8DW/ref=s9_simh_gw_g328_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=11YZCCBE1QXGG1XSMXJV&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

I could not find any of the versions with the 3 meter sensor probes in Fahrenheit scale at Amazon, but they are readily available from Ebay (China) if You want to wait.

You can also extend the 3 wires on the probe to reach your dash as needed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The first one looks good, range is high enough and the price is right.
I'm going to try this. How would you suggest attaching the probe?

I ordered 3 of the small digital LED type meters with probe to play with. I will post results
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have aluminum duct tape.
You are not a fan of drilling and inserting the sensor into the case?
I see this as the most positive contact.
Probably not something everybody would be comfortable with but ?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
Luke Duke
Getting Wild

Unless it's meant for a pressurized tank, that water temperature probe probably won't go over 212F.
Luke Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some advertise 275º
Old 05-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the datasheet for the chip inside the probe, these little devices have been around for a long time:
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.c...ds/DS18B20.pdf
I would definitely not feel comfortable drilling holes in the motor, I am afraid I would either screw something up with the drill bit or leave metal shavings behind...

Scottyb, since You are good with visualizing and fabricating mounting brackets, how about some small bracket that would use an existing screw already in the Motor case or even the differential mounting bolt?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have aluminum duct tape.
You are not a fan of drilling and inserting the sensor into the case?
I see this as the most positive contact.
Probably not something everybody would be comfortable with but ?
Instead of drilling a hole in the case, how about drilling a hole down the center one of the bolts that hold the pole shoes in place. Then glue it in place with thermally conductive epoxy.

My setup works okay for my purposes, so I'm not looking very hard, but if I could find an inexpensive thermometer that accepted a Type-K input, I might go with one of these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#3648k24/=12cnldz and bolt it to the case with one of the pole shoe bolts. Then just extend the 3' leads on it to where the display was mounted.

-------------
It really doesn't matter too much what type sensor is used (thermocouple, RTD or the chip type) just as long as you can get good thermal contact with the motor case and the display will read high enough.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
1. I would definitely not feel comfortable drilling holes in the motor, I am afraid I would either screw something up with the drill bit or leave metal shavings behind...

2. Scottyb, since You are good with visualizing and fabricating mounting brackets, how about some small bracket that would use an existing screw already in the Motor case or even the differential mounting bolt?
1. Don't drill all the way through the motor case thickness (or the bolt as I suggested in my previous post)

2. Mount the sensor in a ring terminal using thermally conductive epoxy. Just have to find a solder type (non-insulated) ring terminal for wires roughly the same diameter as the sensor diameter.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts