lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #61
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default Re: Does a display for Series Motor Temp exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
How are your cables terminated?

Can you post side profile picture showing one of the cable lugs?
Sorry, I don't have any other photos. That was 2 years ago. The controller and all the cables have been replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. As you may now realize, the ring connectors ought to be on top of the tabs. This will make the metal to metal contact visible, so the accumulation of corrosion will be observable.

To minimize the resistance in the metal to metal interface, wire brush all contact areas of the tab, ring terminal, nuts and washers to bright metal and apply a thin coat of NO-OX-ID A-Special to all contact surfaces before assembling. Torque to Alltrax specs.

2. Alltrax specs 5-7 ft.lb torque for terminal bolts.

3. Excessive resistance in the connection. W = I² x R.

4. Yes, but installing temperature sensors on all high current cables and connections isn't practical. Checking the high current cables and connection with a Non-contact (Infrared) thermometer after a hard run will tell you if something is getting overheated.

5. Any cable or connection that get more than 10°F above the air temperature needs to be repaired or replaced. However, the motor and controller can and do get >10°F above the air temperature, so use the case temperature of those items as the baseline for connections attached to the motor or controller.

Ironically, the XCT monitors the heat of the M- bus bar, it is used as the heatsink for the MOSFETs. I'm not sure how the M- tab connects to the M- bus bar, but the bus bar itself stayed below 95°C (203°F) or the XCT would have shut down.
So it sounds like putting a temperature sensor on one of the posts where a cable attaches to the motor would be a good way to monitor the motor case temp.
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #62
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor winding shoe mount bolt is a better place to monitor heat. See my posts on page 5
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #63
hbondurant
Not Yet Wild

I use anti-seize compound from the local hot rod store. It is specially formulated to have super electrical conducting properties. Prevents corrosion from dissimilar metals and aids in assembly and disassembly. I use it on the motor, controller, battery posts. I use serrated stainless washers on the nut side on the controller. The studs on the motor are copper and I use BRASS nuts. Yes, a cart will consume about $2.50 in the compound, but I have not had a bad connection. I have been a mechanic since 1961. JEGS sells a 16 oz can with brush, $22.99. Permatex 80208 Part Number: 775-80208. Has copper, aluminum, and graphite There is also a permatex with NICKLE. Permatex 77124 Part Number: 775-7712
hbondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts