lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Power wise charging

I have a 36 volt txt and power wise charger.

From best I can remember, the charger turned off at 45.4 or 45.5

Just went out and my digital VM was reading pack charge of 46.7.

I ended up unplugging and turn off the charger.

Is there some issue with my Power wise ? How do I go about troubleshooting?

Is this a charger issue ? Should I put it back on the charger and see if it turns off at a higher point?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know someone will offers some help...

In the meantime, I was reading the charger senses the charge from the batteries.

The fact that when I plug it in and the charger starts charging the batteries...does this mean that it is sensing the battery voltage? And it could be a bad board on the charger?

It seems that if the charger was not sensing the voltage in the batteries, it would not even turn on...

Thanks for any help given.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
slimmer455
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power wise charging

how old are your batteries? it typically wont shut off until the batteries are fully charged. This happened to me. my batteries were 10 year old original trojans. Still worked and were on their last leg. I would always run the batteries down.and just charge them overnight.believe it or not it would go 5 or 6 days before needing a charge.I thought it was my charger as well and got a few prices to fix it if it was the computer board. it was to expensive for me.
slimmer455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The batteries are 8 months old and are 36 volts. The charger does charge the batteries up... The pack charge goes up to 46.5, but the charger does not turn off.

The charger used to turn off at 45.5.

Any other ideas?

Thx

Skip

Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
slimmer455
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ř Automatic Timers – there’s no actual knob, but electronically “senses” battery voltage and chargers accordingly with the programmed algorithm.

A bad timer unit usually will not allow the charger to cut off. If the timer unit is incorporated into a solid state circuit board which has gone bad, then the charger may not even cut on at all and, a charger that runs continually will hurt the batteries by overcharging them.
slimmer455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The typical powerwise shut off voltage is 44-46 volts, so yours seems to be getting a bit high. The max allowable on charge voltage is quite a bit above 46 volts so you are not in immediate danger at 46.7. Take a look at this thread from a while ago to see what voltages are allowable.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-shut-off.html

Your circuit board cut-off voltage may have drifted upward. Hope this helps - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-02-2016 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: clarified
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there some way to adjust the circuit board to cut off or do I just replace the circuit board in the charger?

Old 10-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry but I don't know about adjustability on those circuit boards. Johnnieb is our main source of information here on chargers and batteries and maybe he can help. Probably a new board would be your best bet or better yet, treat yourself to a new DPI charger. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Skip,

A dirty connection can give you the symptoms you are describing.

Clean the outside of the negative radsok in the cart's charge receptacle and the auxiliary contact in the charger's output plug.

Also clean the connection between the red wire from the control board and the heatsink in the charger.

-------------

To check the voltage the control board is actually sensing, measure the voltage between the red and black wires were they are connected to the control board. If that voltage and the battery pack voltage aren't identical, there is some excessive resistance in the battery sensing circuit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Couple of quick questions...

When you say clean... Is there something you can suggest of a spray for cleaning these contacts?

Also you mentioned measuring the voltage of the red and black wires on charger control board... At these the 2 wires red and black side by side on the control board? I have more than one black wire on the control board.

Thx for the help

Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Skip,

A dirty connection can give you the symptoms you are describing.

Clean the outside of the negative radsok in the cart's charge receptacle and the auxiliary contact in the charger's output plug.

Also clean the connection between the red wire from the control board and the heatsink in the charger.

-------------

To check the voltage the control board is actually sensing, measure the voltage between the red and black wires were they are connected to the control board. If that voltage and the battery pack voltage aren't identical, there is some excessive resistance in the battery sensing circuit.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO