lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Slinky Pickle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2012 RXV looking for more torque

I have a 2012 EZGO with a Curtis 1206AC-5201 controller. I am wanting to put ATV tires on it but am worried about the loss of torque due to the larger tires. What are my options to upgrade this unit or get a bit more out of the current controller. I'm not looking for speed, just some sensible hill climbing ability.

Thanks
Slinky Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2012 RXV looking for more torque

The ezgo 350a upgrade controller is the only option currently. It's expensive, does not have the 19mph "freedom mode" unlocked when you get it, and needs a tune up, but is capable of throwing dirt with the tires & doing donuts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Slinky Pickle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had hoped that Madjax might have something by now but I don't see any AC specific controllers available from them.

I noticed that in the thread below, there was an indication that it was upcoming. I wonder if this ever came to fruition.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1206720

Maybe I just need to call Jenny Craig instead. :)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
I had hoped that Madjax might have something by now but I don't see any AC specific controllers available from them.

I noticed that in the thread below, there was an indication that it was upcoming. I wonder if this ever came to fruition.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1206720

Maybe I just need to call Jenny Craig instead. :)
Yea, there's been no word from them on it. I bought the 1206AC-5350 upgrade 350 Amp controller, and as I mentioned in that thread, the default parameters are the same as the stock 1206AC-5201 controller.

By tweaking the parameters in a stock Curtis RXV controller and installing 4 or 2 guage cables, you can increase the performance of a stock RXV controller. It's all about current capacity. The stock controller may be rated for 235 Amps, but due to parameters, high current cable limitations, and battery current limits, you are lucky if you can reach 2/3 to 3/4 of that. You just need access to a programmer, and to know which parameters to tweak. I've helped others with this info.

I have my 350 Amp controller packed away now. I now feel that the stock controller is more than adequate for my needs. I base this opinion on the ability of the stock AC motor to dissipate the heat generated by operating that motor at higher performance. For short bursts, a properly reconfigured upgrade controller will deliver greater performance. But eventually, the motor will heat up and the temperature sensor will force the controller to cut back. If done long and often enough, motor damage will result.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Slinky Pickle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
By tweaking the parameters in a stock Curtis RXV controller and installing 4 or 2 guage cables, you can increase the performance of a stock RXV controller. It's all about current capacity. The stock controller may be rated for 235 Amps, but due to parameters, high current cable limitations, and battery current limits, you are lucky if you can reach 2/3 to 3/4 of that. You just need access to a programmer, and to know which parameters to tweak. I've helped others with this info.
Well Bob, you just might be my new best friend. I'm all ears sir.

I can easily swap the wires out but if you can help me tweak the controller parameters I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for a anything crazy, it's mostly so my wife and I can wander around our property and go up the occasional hill.

On a side note, I will also be adding the front wheel motor kit for 4 wheel drive.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
Well Bob, you just might be my new best friend. I'm all ears sir.

I can easily swap the wires out but if you can help me tweak the controller parameters I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for a anything crazy, it's mostly so my wife and I can wander around our property and go up the occasional hill.

On a side note, I will also be adding the front wheel motor kit for 4 wheel drive.

Thanks
I'll be glad to help you via PM with what parameters to tweak when you are ready.

The front wheel drive kit is not what most people think. It is a drive assist designed to apply some drive torque to the front wheels. It is not a true hands-off 4 wheel drive system that works with your RXV controller. It reduces the overall efficiency by conflicting with the RXV drive at times.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Slinky Pickle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It is a drive assist designed to apply some drive torque to the front wheels.
That's pretty much all I'm looking for. I was just hoping to get some more torque onto the ground without having to put it all through the main controller and drive motor. I would only use it if I struggled on a hill.

I'll get in touch with the dealer I bought the cart from and see if they have a programmer. He was a pretty good guy and will probably help me out.

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO