lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stripped armature & gear input shaft

To be perfectly safe on anything prior to 2000 you really have to pull the gear and count the teeth. This was a mid year change and as usual the manufacture just used one part until supplies ran out and began using the other. So there is no specific date of change I know if.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
1. For some clarification here, Johnnie, how can you tell if he has a 19 or 21 tooth?

2. I have a western elegante that needs a input shaft gear/bearing, and I don't know how to tell which one i need to order? I see a 19 and also a 21 ( i believe it said 21?). How can we tell?
1. In his first post in this thread, he stated he has a "2000 36v TXT PDS Shuttle 2x2", which has a Dana/Spicer H12 transaxle (we incorrectly call them differentials ) with a 12.44:1 gear ratio. That is the same transaxle I have in my 2008 PDS cart and it has a 19 spline input shaft, or at least the motor I'm running has a 19 spline coupler and it mated with the input shaft.

Also, according to EZGO, their 12.44:1 shaft kit is for Marathon, Medalist, TXT and TXT-48 carts from 1992 through 2013. I'm not up to speed on all the different spline couplers used in all Make/Model/Year carts, but aftermarket cart motors seem to have either 19 spline or 10 spline couplers. I haven't seen any listed with 21 splines.

2. As I understand it, Western carts are EZGO carts is disguise, so this is probably the kit needed: https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Input...53a1-Axle.html

I believe some of the early ones were built on Marathon chassis and earlier Marathons used different differentials. There are links to the kits for the earlier ones within the link posted above.

Of course, you can pull the motor and count the splines.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
I see a 19 and also a 21 ( i believe it said 21?). How can we tell?
There is a 21 - 22 tooth count, on the gear when you pull the input shaft out. It has nothing to do with the motor coupler 19 or 10 count
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
There is a 21 - 22 tooth count, on the gear when you pull the input shaft out. It has nothing to do with the motor coupler 19 or 10 count
Thanks for clearing that up...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for your input! This place is the best!
rib33024 thanks for the clarification and JohnnieB thank you for your thorough responses!!

I have a 21 tooth count on my inout gear shaft.

I am going to see if there is a machine shop here that can safely remove the coupler.. If it works I will order a new coupler and hope we can get it on.

1. Do I need to take out the armature before I take it to the machine shop or leave it all together?

2. If the machine shop route does not work I will be contacting you ScottyB.
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you can wait till tomorrow, I might have a deal for you. Yamaha has a kit that includes everything for the input shaft side (I just can't remember if it's 21 or 22 tooth). Has bearings already installed & new seal. Yes, I understand it is an ezgo, as long as the tooth count is correct, it'll work.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I maintain a fleet of 45 carts that are a bit newer than this one. This is not uncommon for our fleet.

You should have 19 splines on the input shaft. You will need to count your teeth for the gear and order appropriately 21 or 22.

There have been a few places to purchase a 19 spline coupler. Make sure that the one you get has one smooth bored end. There are 19 spline couplers out there for earlier models that are splined both ends these are not correct and not readily modified to fit.

The easiest method that I have found to remove the coupler from the armature shaft with no damage to the armature is to remove the armature from the motor. Next clamp the armature vertically with the coupler up in your drill press or milling machine.

Now drill down through the side of the coupler only. Do this 180* apart. Use a dill bit that has nearly the same diameter as the thickness of the coupler. We are trying to weaken the wall of the coupler but not cut entirely through both surfaces of it. If you bit is too large in diameter it will break out of the side and start walking. This is not good. If your choice of drill bit is too small in diameter then you have not removed enough material to weaken the coupler. Use a chisel (not for wood) and drive it down the length of the coupler. This will split the coupler and if you have taken care you will not mar the shaft of the armature. Now you can safely heat up your new coupler and install it on the cleaned armature. It is not necessary to get it glowing red and not desireable. It will grow enough to drop on without hammering or pressing. This is a pressed fit from the factory. You do not really want to press it cold. Also if you try to heat up your old coupler to remove it you run the risk of damaging the windings.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #18
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I had to replace a coupler years ago. I put the motor in freezer for hour or so. Heated the coupler with a propane torch and it slid on the cold shaft like it was greased. Also used advice in post 9 to remove old coupler.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

OK, Yamaha offers a kit that includes a new 21 tooth 19 spline input shaft, both bearings and a seal for significantly less than $100. Part number is "99999-JU200-01". It will work for you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #20
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

ORTitan, thank you for the input!!!
I went yesterday to a local machine shop and had no luck getting the coupler off.. Welded a nut and used a 3/4 in air tool drive part of the coupler and the weld would break off. tried to heat it to get it loose... I left the motor at the shop and today will know if they have anyluck.. Looks like there is no damage that we see. I should no today if I will be getting a new coupler or motor.

Thank you cgtech for looking that up!! Does this kit include the Gear shaft or just the bearings and clip? So far when I asked the vendors one said it is only the Gear shaft and another said it is only the bearing kit... Since I live outside the states and obtaining parts is a long process.. I just want to make sure before I order that this input gear shaft is the exact same fit?

Thanks again everyone for all the advise, info. and input!!
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO