lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Power Converter Or Aux Battery - What Is Your Preference

I recently installed a lithium battery pack in my '07 PDS. I have lots of room for other goodies with the small lith pack. The only 12v accessories I have are head and tail lights with I never use but would be nice to have if needed. It is also required at the marina I park my cart. So, what are the advantages of eigther a 12v voltage reducer or a 12v auxilliary battery? I have the lights on unique key switch so my lights won't get left on. One reason I wanted lithium is the reduced self discharge when the cart sits for weeks or months so I want to minimize any power drain on the main pack while sitting. I see power reducers with key on power and no key on power so any comments on those as well would be appreciated. One thought is a small SLA battery and a solar charger.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power Converter Or Aux Battery - What Is Your Preference

I really like the Aux battery...

Pros:
- it does not mess up with your power pack i.e. will not end up pushing the cart because (ahem!! wife and daughter) someone is blasting the stereo.
- much cleaner install, all 12v have their own fuses and stuff (subjective)
- no trickle discharge of the main pack because offending stuff in the 12v side. I'm talking to you stupid USB charger!!!

Cons:
- You have to charge it separately and remember to!!
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianol View Post
I really like the Aux battery...
Cons:
- You have to charge it separately and remember to!!
I forgot about maybe using one of these. I am not looking for something to recharge a depleted battery, but something to maintain a charged battery. I could put this on the back of my "wink" mirror which faces south during storage. https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-5001...BA20Y84D4N42CW
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

those little solar panels work like crap . I wouldnt count on it to keep the battery up to full charge. I have one still , i used it for my Lance truck camper when i had it in storage . now its behind the seat in my truck , saw it the other day most likely never get used again .

I am a fan of 12 vots acc batteries but in your case with minimum use I would go with reducer.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, indeed. The solar charger will keep the battery trickle charging while you are gone. <<<--- Scratch this based on Swan comments, I have not used them.

I cannot use one of those since mine sits in the garage :)

By the way I'm thinking of bolting one of these to my cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HOD2W38 inside the cart so I can just hook it up to the wall and not be lugging the 12v charger around.
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I use one of these for my 12 volt Acc Battery . sits on top of my GC charger handle .I tie wrapped the wire to my GC charger DC cord and added a plug on the golf cart , so i plug them in at the same time .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tend...MAAOSwrklVOABU
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
thehill
Not Yet Wild

I used a $40 battery from Amazon and it's been working amazing. Powers my speakers and LED underbody lights for hours:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...97a1809b03e59a
thehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I also have a unique key switch and went with a cheap reducer wired to the key switch light position. Reducer will only be on when key switch is in the light position. No parasitic drain, and not messing around with charging a 12v battery. If I had more than lights I would put in the 12v battery.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I have 2 winches (Not wenches....oh to be so lucky!!) and lights. I run 'em on a separate 12-V battery. Not difficult to charge as I just toss the charger on when I plug in the cart every time I use it. BTW, I winch my cart on my truck when I go to places where I need the cart. FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
gwh1bass
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I use an electric 12 volt wheelchair battery to power headlights, taillights, mp3 amp and a cigarette lighter receptacle for charging phones etc.

Has worked fine for me.
gwh1bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO