lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Choice

Hey Guys, I've got 1 year old batteries in my 2003 cc DS series cart. 6-8volt 170mah. They are doing great after I got the water levels correct. But now I have a brand new set of generator batteries set in my lap. 12v 1300cca 220amp hr for 20hrs!

They are deep cycle, and are a little heavy at 120lbs each.

Thoughts on switching out these gifted batteries to the cart? I know they are heavier, but with such large capacity reserves my god I should be able to ride to Texas from NC! Not that I ride that far at all, I rarely go more than a few miles at a time. But I am planning on installing a 700amp controller and removing the Bandit motor for Plum Quicks largest motor the 15hp brute that will obviously bring a huge grin to my face. I've also just ordered a 6" lift with 23" tires and wheels. Of course I'll be upgrading wiring, I have about 1000' of DC conductor cable which makes our battery cables look like Chinese crap. 400mcm.. also ordered the heavy duty switch and solenoid. So all my bases are covered there as well. The only thing I need to know is should the huge gen batteries provide more power than the 6 8 volt batteries. And again, I don't care about how long it last, the power output is more important to me.
Banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Choice

I take it that you have 4 12V batteries that you want to use in place of the 6 8V batteries?

4 x 220Ah = 880Ah
6 x 170Ah = 1020Ah

Or do you have 6 12V batteries and are going to run the cart on 72V?
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

4 12v each is 220 but reserve is 1300

Basically these puppies were given to me and I'm tryin to decide to either use them for my boats for starting and trolling motors, or put all four into the cart and have a little more oomp...
Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

yawood, when you add batteries in series, the voltage is added, but you use the lowest single amp hour for the total rate.

So it is 48v @ 220Ah (4x12v) and 48v @ 170Ah (6x8v).

Banditz, check the dimensions to make sure they are not too tall to fit.

Also check the chemistry in case they are not wet lead acid or you will need a different charger.

Normally when a battery has a CCA (Cold Crank Amps) rating, that means they have lots of thin plates since more surface area is required to deliver the high instant current.

While those batteries have a "deep-cycle" tolerance, they usually do not support many deep cycles.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
yawood, when you add batteries in series, the voltage is added, but you use the lowest single amp hour for the total rate.

So it is 48v @ 220Ah (4x12v) and 48v @ 170Ah (6x8v).
Thanks Sergio. I actually knew that but expressed my point badly in the post. What I was getting at is that 6 8V batteries @ 170Ah have more stored energy than 4 12V batteries @ 220Ah (isn't that why CC changed from 4x12V to 6x8V?).

Please correct me if that is a wrong statement.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

They changed to 8 volt because 4/12's SUCK!!!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Dlab
Gone Wild

From all my reading I've done on this site marine batteries don't hold up in golf cart usage. There are a few guys that had success running them at 72 volts, but range on 48 seems to still be an issue. They just don't have the plates to hold up. Hence the reason most companies have abandoned the 4-12volt system, opting for the 6-8volts........

But hey, if they were free, or one hell of a deal I guess give it go.......

It's also been mentioned that a 48 volt pack only makes so many peak amps, and a 700 controller is more or a safety net with a 48 volt pack "because the pack won't reach those amps" from what I've gathered
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I was thinking basically the same thing. But didn't really wanna throw batteries this nice in boats where they can't really be used to their potential. I guess if I ever need to get back to shore from 20 miles out and all I have is the trolling motor I'll make it. Lol
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Put one in your bagwall and run all of your lights and accessories off of it.
Save your pack!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #10
Dlab
Gone Wild

With the weight of them I wouldn't even want them in my boat.....course I have tater chip Bass boat that I'm real funny about weight with....120lbs per battery! Ayayaya
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car