lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Georob1975
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EH29 smoking but runs good

First post long time reader.....
So I acquired a "barn find" (actually a warehouse) 2000 model TXT. Totally stock. It was in storage for a few years after the disabled owner passed away. He bought it new so I don't think it was ever abused and it cleaned up great.
Even after being stored, I added fuel and it started easy. I ran it around until the oil warmed up good and then changed the oil. I noticed it smoking before I changed the oil but hoped some fresh oil may help. The oil that came out was normal (black and normal viscosity) and the proper amount. I put a little less than 1.5 back in.

The symptoms:
It continues to smoke especially when you stop and then start going again. Smokes very little under steady cruising (smell but not visible). Smokes quite a bit if you floor it under load (climbing steep grade).

Tests performed so far:
I'll call cylinder 1 the one near the fan and cylinder 2 the one by the PTO.
1)Compression on cylinder 1 is 150.
2)Compression on cylinder 2 is 120.
3)Spark plug on cylinder 1 shows oiliness and evidence of burning oil
4)Spark plug on cylinder 2 looked perfect
5)Small amount of oil film on the crankcase breather side of the air box
6)Air filter clean and oil free
7)No obstructions or mouse nests anywhere

What do you think is wrong? Rings for sure or possibly an intake valve seal?
It seems that the oil is being drawn in under strong vacuum conditions rather than simple blow-by but I could be way off here.

Here's my dilemma:
I bought it with the intention of selling. No one is going to buy a smoky cart around here.

Would you:
1) Just do rings and valve seals
2) Just do valve seals and hope for the best
3) Do rings, complete gasket kit , AND connecting rods/pistons.

At this point I don't plan on boring and going oversize on piston/rings. I have no reason to suspect bore damage so I was going to do a light deglazing and keep everything standard size.
Georob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2000 EH29 smoking but runs good

If it sat for a long time it may have a stuck ring. There are hundreds of recommendations out there but in the past I have tried pulling the plugs, pouring some atf and some other gunk dissolving fluids in there and let it sit overnight. If you have a oil vacuum you can suck out most of that the next day. Put a towel over the motor to capture as much mess as you can and spin it over. Clean it up, put the plugs back in and run it a little then change the oil. Might help. You can also take out the air cleaner and run it to check for smoking. If it quits it is probably a valve seal and you will see smoke coming out of the pcv tube. Did you adjust the valves ?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Georob1975
Not Yet Wild

I did not adjust the valves, but I did apply some seafoam spray into each cylinder and let it sit. I've put about 2 hours of run time on it since hoping that if it was a stuck ring it might free up.

I don't mind opening it up to do rings, but I can't decide if doing connecting rods and pistons is necessary. Big difference in price that way.

The cart is in really great condition but I'm already $1200 bucks into it. Parts for a rebuild will put me at $1600 not counting my time. I don't think a 2000 model would sell for much here. I'd like to get it fixed up and ask $1800 but probably couldn't get that for it. But if it's smoking I'd be lucky to get $500.

Decisions decisions 😀
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A lot of that depends on where you are located.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Small chance, but is the crankcase vent hose running from the air cleaner to the crankcase clear?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Georob1975
Not Yet Wild

I verified the breather hose is clear. I need to try running it with that unhooked to see if smoking is better/worse/same.

Also - is there any place to get a free shop manual for the engine? Mainly need it for torque values, balancer timing, valve lash, etc.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Google Robin 295 engine manual it's the first link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170622-111618.jpg (48.8 KB, 0 views)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Georob1975
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I had googled that, but ignored the first one because I associate Jacobsen with lawn mowers 😀 . Feel kinda silly now........
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
Georob1975
Not Yet Wild

Hopefully someone reads this since it's been so long since I updated. I've been using the heck outta this cart and I love it! My sxs just sits between trail rides now. The cart is the go to vehicle around here.
Anyways- I finally checked the compression again today. 170psi both cylinders and the valve lash was perfect 0.004 on all 4 valves.
It starts and runs good but still likes to puff a little smoke. Usually it's not visible but you can smell it. Occasionally certain situations it will puff a little cloud.
I'm just not convinced I should do a ring job yet. The plug near the clutch always looks perfect and the one near the fan shows slight signs of oil burning or even light residue.
So - this cart sat unused for over a year. I wonder if a valve seal could be my issue? Maybe it dried out or lost elasticity during the dormant period?
Anyone ever get lucky and stop a light smoking issue with just valve seals?????
Old 09-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's worth a shot also of you have a compression guage you can set them up with an air hose to blow air into the cylinder so you can take valve springs off and the air will hold the valve up so you can do seals without taking the head off
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO