lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Easy go Mark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Not getting fuel from tank to clear filter

Last ride of the evening and the EZ GO was more like a no go half way home as darkness was falling.

Just lost power and sputtered to a stop like it ran out of gas, which I have done before. Open tank and there is gas in there, uh-oh. Clear filter on top of tank seems dry.

Had no time to do any further diagnosis, but wonder if there is some common failure that these engines (86 Marathon) have such as a fuel pump, gas hose falling off inside tank, or something else I can add to the list of things to check tonight.

Thanks for any advice! (Now I have 2 dead carts)

Mark
Easy go Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
JJ77G29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Not getting fuel from tank to clear filter

Make sure your fuel pump hoses are all connected and not cracked. clamps on all connections. Also make sure your brass vent is clean and clear. Spray the vac pump out with carb cleaner real good or let it soak in some degreaser.
JJ77G29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Easy go Mark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Brass vent? Where would I find that?
Vac pump?

Looking at the diagram for fuel pump and I do not see a brass vent. Do I need to pull off the pump and take it apart to find this vent?

Vac pump is an unknown at this point.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I have an 85 and don't know if there's any differences in the fuel system between it and 86 but I've had fuel pump failures a few times over the years, My pickup tube in the tank is solid plastic. Never had a problem with it but definitely worth looking into.....

Mine also had a plastic spacer about a 1/4" thick under the fuel pump that broke apart on me once, When that happens the pump doesn't get the pulse from the crankcase so it quits pumping. I have since eliminated it since I couldn't find a replacement, Probably not the right thing to do since I suspect it's a heat sink but I haven't had any problems....

I also went to that tinted blue fuel line and clear filter so as too see the gas when problems arise...

Having said all that I'd start with pulling the line off at the pump intake and blow some air into the tank to see if it flows freely, If so then ya know it's the pump or after. Good Luck

BTW, I've never seen a brass vent or a vac pump on mine. The fuel cap/guage has a tiny hole in it for the tank vent
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Easy go Mark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dabble Inn,

That is good advice and historical experience on fuel system issues that will help me diagnose my issue. That is exactly what I was hoping to get when I wrote the original post, and I appreciate the fast replies as well!

Thanks already!!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Whenever I have a problem like this I have found it is best to begin by checking for obstructions in the tank. Then replace all the fuel lines (not that expensive) and go from there. Quite often the fuel pump is blamed when there is nothing wrong with it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The first thing to do is remove the fuel line from the carburetor, and crank the engine over.

You should see a healthy spurt of gas coming from the pump.

AFTER THAT, you can start determining the direction to go.

Your pump has no brass breather.

Your three directions are
Delivery from tank.
Pump issue itself.
Crankshaft seals.

Hope it's not crankshaft seals.......

Read this too. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html

It could also be a spark issue. That's why you are looking for fuel first.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The first thing to do is remove the fuel line from the carburetor, and crank the engine over.

You should see a healthy spurt of gas coming from the pump.

AFTER THAT, you can start determining the direction to go.

Your pump has no brass breather.

Your three directions are
Delivery from tank.
Pump issue itself.
Crankshaft seals.

Hope it's not crankshaft seals.......

Read this too. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html

It could also be a spark issue. That's why you are looking for fuel first.
I think this is great advice. And I don't believe in replacing any parts unless necessary. I have however had old fuel lines cause intermittent problems, that's why I replace them.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I agree with 'Cart Around' and as always he has the best answer by beginning with pulling the line at carb and cranking it over, Thanks CA
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Easy go Mark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, time for an update since everyone was so informative as to the procedure to check for fuel flow.
Pulled the intake pick up hose from the tank and it was a little loose, so tightened it. I do have decent gas flow before & after the pump, but the spitting and sputtering continues and is getting worse.
I think my issue is a dirty carb. The carb was replaced a couple years ago, but I drive in a very dusty dirt road area and the filter is off (previous post about air starvation), so that is where I am going to put the next effort. Got new batteries for the electric cart, so I have a tow vehicle to pull the dead gas cart to the barn to begin repairs.
I also am going to check for spark, that was a good suggestion. I guess a bad coil could cause that, but not sure what else. I did clean the plug awhile back and it looked pretty good.
I will also have a chance to charge the crap out of my battery (or replace it) so it spins like a roulette wheel when I step on the pedal.
Also, spraying starting fluid into the open carb mouth did not make it run! It actually made it worse. That was a bit of a shock and leads me to a carb cleaning session. Any helpful hints on that would be timely, hint hint. Picked up 2 new fuel filters at lunch today and have new fuel line, so I am armed and ready to continue fighting! (Don't even want to think about crank case seals, yes I read those posts)
I know, fuel, spark & air. That's all you need but sometimes not as simple as it sounds. I am also too cheap to throw parts at it, so no worries there! haha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO