lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
texashunter74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How to Test 48 Volt Motor before buying Batteries

I have a 2010 Bad Boy Buggy that I am in the process of cleaning up and converting to Lithium. I neglected it for about 2 years and it sat under a tree collecting dust and rain. I am about to start taring it down and rebuilding it but before I get to far in I want to test the motors. Is there a way to do this with out buying a bunch of batteries? I should also note I do not have the charger anymore. It was stolen which is one of the reasons I let it sit for so long.
texashunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How to Test 48 Volt Motor before buying Batteries

You can test a series wound motor with a 12 volt battery. Keep it attached to the differential but remove the existing wires. Connect A1 to S1, and with jumper cables attach the positive of your 12 volt battery to A2 and the negative to S2, if it spins you have a good motor. This is not for Sepex motors , I'm not sure what your BadBoy has. Remember to jack the cart up!
pokesgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Default Re: How to Test 48 Volt Motor before buying Batteries

motor test

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.

note : use 2 wrenches on motor studs to keep them from spinning
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
To test run a Sep-Ex (regen) motor

Remove all cables from the motor; connect a jumper from A1 to F1 and a jumper from A2 to F2. Connect 12 to 24 volts, positive @ A1/F1 and negative @ A2/F2. Swap F1 and F2 to change rotation direction.

NOTE: some Sep-Ex motors are labeled S1 & S2 in place of F1 & F2

CAUTION:

Allowing a motor to spin @ high RPM can cause catastrophic failure!

Put vehicle in TOW mode before attempting testing process if vehicle has TOW switch . . .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts