lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default High Performance Series Motor Choices - Sleeper Build

In the middle of a major overhaul of a 92 Western (Marathon chassis) 2+2. It's a BIG ride, at over 8' long.

My goal is to take it back out to our place in the desert, and watch my neighbors' disbelief as we beat their newer shiny carts. Not sure if it's gonna happen, but I'm throwing about $4,500 at it. Yeah, I know it's not worth it, but the cart's in great shape, and I've always wanted to build a sleeper.

I just ordered a Lithium pack (48v), and am going to be getting a 600 amp controller, HD F/R, solenoid, etc. The power supply won't be a limiting factor.

I have to make a decision on wheels, but don't want to pull the trigger until I know what to expect. I'd like to not have to lift it, and found some 12"/20.5" wheel/tire combos I like.

If I can't get slightly over 25mph with that size wheel, only then will I consider lifting. I could use input from someone who's familiar with real world expectations, given this particular cart's limitations.

Usage will be mainly 2ppl on level ground (surface streets). Very occasionally 4ppl, and the occasional small hill.

So, to the point:
If price was not the limitation, what motor can get me close to where I need to be, and what is a best guess at the top speed?

I've been talking to D&D, and a few others (Luna, EVM), with a range of 22 to 28 mph. The best off the shelf I've seen is the GE D398. BTW, what does AMD do to that motor to call it a "7126", as the spec's look the same?

Looking for recommendations, and speed expectations (with 20" wheels) before I decide to pull the trigger on the wheels.

If the mod thinks I would get more response in the Extreme DC section, feel free...

Thanks!
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: High Performance Series Motor Choices - Sleeper Build

hi Goliath.....I would like to make a suggestion.....and that would be instead of the HD F&R, go ahead and bump up and get a Reversing Contactor setup to take its place.

I have been running my AMD 7126 "RAPTOR" motor for the last 5 years and love it. I was running at 36v (with 23" tires) and would run 25 mph all day long......a few months ago I got a new pack and up'ed the voltage to 48v.....now with me in it, it tops out at 30 mph.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sorry, should have been more specific.
I did mean to get the magnetic F/R contactors, and not keep the manual unit.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific.
I did mean to get the magnetic F/R contactors, and not keep the manual unit.
great.....in your case that is the way to go.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I just pulled the trigger on a D&D motor.

They were extremely helpful, and the price was actually less than expected.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO